SSAF Bid 2018

What is SSAF?

The student services and amenities fee (SSAF) is that cheeky fee you pay at the beginning of each semester ($294 per year for full-time students). For more information about SSAF, check out the ANU website.

Where does your SSAF go?

ANUSA, PARSA, ANU Sport, Division of Student Life, and ANU Student Media all submit bids in September for allocation of SSAF. This goes on to fund vital student services, social activities, free food, sports programs, and your student media! The total amount in the 2017 pool of money was $5,162,589.

What does Woroni spend SSAF on?

In 2017 Woroni received $202,467 from SSAF. This funded the printing of our paper and the establishment of Woroni TV as well as operating costs of the association.

You can check out our 2017 SSAF Bid here.

You can also check our Year-To-Date expenditure against this bid to see what we’ve spent money on thus far.

What are we thinking about funding in 2018?

1. Better photography equipment.

Our photographers attend and capture some of the best moments of ANU life: society balls and events, O-Week, Bush Week, and ANU Open Day. All for free. Our equipment is outdated and doesn’t provide the quality photography that students deserve. All our equipment is available to hire to all students.

2. Better microphones for Woroni TV.

Woroni TV has bloomed in 2017. We bought a lot of new equipment with the 2017 SSAF bid, but some of the microphones aren’t quite right for certain videos. We want to ensure that our videos are of better quality in 2018. All our equipment is available to hire to all students.

3. An inaugural cookbook for semester one.

Food is the basis of life but eating well as a university student is sometimes unheard of. Woroni wants to publish a cookbook including tried and tested recipes from students. The publication will also feature short anecdotes and student art and photography.

4. An annual creative magazine.

In 2017, Woroni published one creative magazine for Semester One and plans to publish another one at the end of Semester Two. In 2018, we plan to do an annual magazine that is A4, has more pages, better quality printing and has a larger distribution to showcase the creative passions of our community.

5. Woroni zine fund.

Zines are increasing in popularity but students often do not have the funding or the means to produce their own. With our ‘zine fund’ students or student groups can pitch ideas to us and we can work with them to produce their zine – both offering the funding and the materials but also professional development opportunities to work with editors etc. 

6. Attendance at the 2017 National Union of Students National Conference.

For the past few years, ANU students have relied on other student papers’ coverage of the NUS National Conference. We’d like to send two News reporters to NUS Nat Con at the end of 2017 to provide an ANU specific coverage.

7. Woroni Radio Equipment.

Woroni Radio has had its most successful year thus far with over 50 shows for this semester. To ensure that the quality of Radio broadcasting continues, we’d like to bid for money for new microphones, new DJ equipment, and a laptop for live broadcasting to maintain Radio’s growth into 2018.

Want to have your say or ask a question about Woroni’s 2018 SSAF Bid?

Come along to our SSAF consultations! We have one more session this semester:

Tuesday 26 September 10am in the Woroni Offices (under Lena Karmel).

Alternatively, send us an email at finance@woroni.com.au.

Or even better, fill out the form below. It can be anonymous if you want!