This month the University is hosting a number of events showcasing artworks by Maruku artists from the Ngaanyatjarra, Pitjantjatjara and Yangkunytjatjara (NPY) Lands.

Maruku artists are famous for their hardwood sculpture carvings and their unique art continues a tradition of tens of thousands of years of theAnangu (Aboriginal people from the south east and west of Central Australia) in producing their traditional weapons and utensils made from wood.

This week four Maruku artists – Billy Cooley, Lulu and Sissy Cooley and Judy Okai – are on campus to demonstrate their techniques and show their works, available for purchase, directly to ANU students, staff and the general public.

The exhibition is currently in the ANU School of Art foyer and is an initiative of ANU student, Tess Kelly, whose interest and passion for indigenous Australia saw her recognized as this year’s Undergraduate Student of the Year.

The official launch of the exhibition will take place at 7pm this Wednesday (14th May) in the School of Art Foyer. The Maruku artists will be in attendance and all students and staff are welcome to attend.

Pictured: Tess Kelly and Isabel Doraisamy, pictured with Billy and Lulu Cooley – two of the artists who will be at ANU this week.