The Woroni logo on a background of blue, purple, and red wombats
Editor's Blog

Join Our Team In 2018

Woroni is looking for some fresh minds to help integrate the Print, Radio and Television platforms in 2018!

Woroni exists so students can cut their teeth in creativity, media, and journalistic expression. We produce content that is interesting, informative, accurate and relevant, and we provide students with opportunities to develop multimedia skills in journalism, design, writing, television, and radio.

If this sounds appealing to you, then keep reading!

We will be recruiting across December 2017 and January 2018. There are lots of opportunities to get involved in 2018 including some new positions. You don’t need to have prior experience – just be a team player and be willing to get involved and learn new skills.

We’ve compiled a list of all available positions below. Call it a ‘Woroni 101 Guide’, if you will. We’ll be listing every position, big or small, as they become available. Positions will be listed under the name of the relevant editor whom they will be responsible to. Please have a read through and see if anything takes your fancy. And don’t hold back, you can apply for more than one position!

************************************************

Editor-in-Chief

James Atkinson

The Editor-in-Chief is the spokesperson for ANUSM and responsible for overseeing and assisting the other Editors, as well as ensuring that the objects of the Association are upheld. The EIC is also responsible for organising events and workshops, managing employees, chairing meetings, dealing with conflicts and complaints, and assisting wherever needed. If you have any questions about anything Woroni-related, then flick James an email at james@woroni.com.au.

Deputy Editor-in-Chief

Nathalie Rosales Cheng

The Deputy Editor-in-Chief is responsible for creating and maintaining minutes, policy, procedure and records, as well as interpreting the Constitution. The Deputy EIC works closely with the Social Media, Instagram and Events Sub-Editors, managing Woroni’s online presence and administrative organisation. Nathalie will also be looking after Photography Sub-Editors, linking Woroni’s presence to events on campus. If you have any questions, you can contact Nathalie at nathalie@woroni.com.au.

Managing Editor

Jonathan Tjandra

The Managing Editor is responsible for creating and maintaining the books and financial records of the Association and managing ANUSM’s business relationships, as well as preparing, managing and regularly reporting on the budget. You can reach Jonathan at jonathan@woroni.com.au or finance@woroni.com.au.

Art Editor

Zoe O’Leary Cameron 

The Art Editor is in charge of the Design and Art Sub-Editors and is responsible for making sure every platform within Woroni – Print,  Radio, Television and Photography – is visually appealing and creative. They are also responsible for the ANUSM’s branding and design. You can contact Zoe at zoe@woroni.com.au or the whole Art & Design Team at art@woroni.com.au.

Content Editor

Mia Jessurun

The Content Editor is responsible for the Woroni print content in the newspaper and online, producing interesting, informative and diverse content that is relevant to the ANU community. In addition to this, the Content Editor manages the Print Team and all that entails. Mia can answer any questions about the newspaper and how best to contribute; you can contact her at mia@woroni.com.au or the entire Print Team at write@woroni.com.au.

CLOSED POSITIONS

Senior Content Sub-Editors 

The role of the Senior Content Sub-Editors will be to work with the Content Editor to plan and manage Woroni’s non-news written content and to edit and copy-edit articles sourced by the Content Sub-Editor team. They will not directly manage other sub-editors but should expect to work directly with both the content sub-editors and the Content Editor.

Applications are open now and close on 3 January 2018. You can find more information and application details by clicking this link.

Content Sub-Editors

Content Sub-Editors are responsible for sourcing and editing contributions to the Woroni newspaper, in print and online. Content Sub-Editors are expected to be aware of the interests of the student body, be willing to source contributions from an array of students, and assist writers with editing articles and attaining valuable writing skills.

Each Sub-Editor will be responsible for a portfolio, which typically correspond to a section in the newspaper: Comment, International, Features, Multilingual, Creative Writing, Arts, Reviews, Life & Style, Environment, Science, Business & Economics, Research and Satire & Humour.

Applications are open now and close on 5 January 2018. You can find more information and application details by clicking this link.

News Editor

Max Koslowski 

The News Editor manages the News Team, who is responsible for reporting and investigating news relevant and interesting to ANU students. It is the responsibly of the News Editor to ensure ANUSM is engaging students with factual and balanced reporting so that they are well informed and aware of the debate, controversies and happenings around them. You can contact Max at max@woroni.com.au.

CLOSED POSITIONS

News Reporters

News Reporters should be bold, persistent and sharp. They are responsible for reporting on and investigating matters that interest ANU students. Reporters will learn on the job and gain valuable skills in journalism not offered at the ANU. Reporters will learn how to conduct interviews, investigate, build networks, follow campus news and writer competently with journalistic tone.

Applications are open now and close on 4 January 2018. You can find more information and application details by clicking this link.

Television Editor

Linda Chen

The TV Editor is primarily responsible for continuing the growth of Woroni TV. The purpose of Woroni TV is to engage with the student body by providing a new and interactive platform to deliver campus news, interviews with interesting students and people in Canberra, as well as fun how-to and creative content. You can contact Linda at linda@woroni.com.au or the whole Television Team at television@woroni.com.au.

AVAILABLE POSITIONS

Television Content Producer/Presenter 

Television Producers/Presenters should be keen to develop skills on and off screen. They will pitch and develop ideas, present and do voiceovers for the videos they’ve pitched, and be involved in the directing and producing aspects of video production by working with Television Camera Operators and Television Video Editors.

Applications are open now and close at 5pm on 15 January 2018. You can find more information and application details by clicking this link.

Television Content Camera Operator 

Television Camera Operators will work with Television Presenters/Producers in the pitch development stages and bring these ideas to life by operating the camera and audio equipment to film relevant footage. They will also provide guidance to Television Video Editors in the editing stages and operate the camera and audio equipment to livestream events where necessary.

Television Content Video Editor

Television Video Editors will assist in the pitch development process and play a crucial by providing advice in the storyboarding stages and to refine final visions. They will work with Television Presenters/Producers and Television Camera Operators to select final footage for editing and they will correct and edit this footage into a final video for publication.

Television News Reporter 

This is a new role in 2018, and Television News Reporters will form a team of four. They will be trained to file alongside the Print News team and also be trained in one technical skill area of film production to create multimedia opportunities to cover news at the ANU and across Canberra.

Radio Editor

Zoe Halstead

The Radio Editor is responsible for managing the Woroni Radio Team and community, supervising the content that goes on air, and monitoring content quality and distribution. If you have any questions, you can email Zoe at zoehalstead@woroni.com.au or radio@woroni.com.au.

CLOSED POSITIONS

Management Team

Executive Producer

The Executive Producer is responsible for strategic planning for Radio. This means coming up with new opportunities for Woroni Radio to pursue, and developing plans to continue improving our content into the future. They will oversee the Production Team and provide assistance and direction to allow them to grow in their roles and support our presenters.

Technology Officer 

The Technical Officer is responsible for three areas of Woroni Radio: ensuring that presenters understand the broadcast system. This includes: navigating the studio hardware, operating our broadcast software (Mixlr/OBS), and gaining basic troubleshooting knowledge. They will also be encouraged to research and investigate new technologies to innovate the content pipeline.

Applications are open now and close on 9 January 2018. You can find more information and application details by clicking this link.

Presenter Liaison Officer 

The role of the Presenter Liaison is primarily concerned with developing the weekly schedule and being the first point of contact for presenters. They will compile and distribute the fortnightly presenter newsletter and facilitate communication between presenters, the production team and the management team.

Music and Events Officer 

The Music and Events Officer producers and updates the 24-hour playlist, they are the Woroni liaison for any event where Radio services are required and they are responsible for organising internal events for presenters and external events to promote Woroni.

Production Team 

Daily Radio Producers 

The Woroni Radio Producers are the drivers of audio content. They will be responsible for overseeing programming for their allocated evening, as well as providing training and opportunities for presenters related to their interest area.

Breakfast Radio Producers 

This is a new role in 2018 following the introduction of Woroni Breakfast Radio in 2017. Breakfast Radio is our flagship program and the Breakfast Radio Producer plays a vital role in maintaining and improving the quality of Breakfast Radio by providing technical support and constructive feedback to presenters over the course of the semester.