A Night To Remember: Lunar New Year Festivities In UniLodge

It’s time to wave goodbye to the Chinese Zodiac Year of Horse and welcome a new animal with open arms. Unilodge will be throwing an amazing festival to kick-start the year of the Ram, though this isn’t just any old food-centered event. Throw away images of typical sausage sizzles, chips and boring food. Yes – that’s right! We’re going big. Picture yourself feasting on traditional delicacies of Asia whilst observing the spectacular lion dance. Absorb in the festivities and celebrate under a wishing tree. Eleven ANU societies will be cooking up a storm this fine evening. What more could you ask for?

Digressing from the food, allow me to shed some light on the “2015 UniLodge Lunar New Year Festival”, the much-anticipated lion dance. The gigantic and majestic beasts will be dancing and celebrating the New Year, blessing the UniLodge buildings with prosperity. As a guest, you too will be bestowed blessings.  You will receive Chinese-calligraphy sealed red envelopes, which may contain a generous Dendy Cinema voucher. Furthermore, your red packet will at least contain a gold chocolate coin to keep up your spirits.

To make the event even more exhilarating, the event will host fun and competitive games. We recommend that you participate in our personal favourites, the “Exotic Flavours of Asia” game and the “Wishing Tree” game. For those of you who want to participate in other festivities other than games, the event will have a classic photo-booth. (You can narcissistically take a string of photos of yourself with a traditional look!) To top it all up, there is a best-dressed competition in the male and female categories. The only requirement is to show up in an Asian-themed outfit.

To reiterate, there is no better day than to try the mouth-watering flavours of Asia. We present to you: rice cake soup, curry fish balls, Peking duck, pisang goring, Thai fortune cookies to name just a few. The food is simply too scrumptious to be missed, so come along, stimulate your taste buds and savour the day!

We would love to thank the stall holders for that day: Golden Drum Restaurant, ANU Korean Students’ Association, ANU Hong Kong Students’ Association, ANU Taiwanese Students’ Association, ANU Vietnamese Students’ Association, ANU Thai Association, Malaysian Students, Association, Singapore Students’ Association ANU, ANU Indonesian Students’ Association, Asian Students in Australia Association ANU, International Students’ Department, iDiscount and ASEAN Society and ANU Japan Club. Additionally, we would like to thank the ANU Archery Club, ANU Dance, ANU Korean Pop Culture Club. The ANU Chinese Classical Music Ensemble and Rai Honrui Yong (pianist) will be collaborating with UniLodge to perform an artistic piece. As you can already see, there are so many collaborators working together to make this night of splendour and excitement.

…and guess what? This event is completely FREE, thanks to the financial contribution from UniLodge and ANUSA. Therefore, there is absolutely no reason to miss this event. So, if you haven’t already done so, mark the coming 18th of February (Wednesday) 6-9 pm on your Calendar, show up at the Kinloch/Warrumbul Common Rooms and we promise it will be a memorable day of 2015: The year of the ram. There is no doubt this event is not to be missed.

The Chinese Zodiac, known as Sheng Xiao, is based on a twelve year cycle, each year in that cycle related to an animal sign. These animal signs are the rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog and pig. It is calculated according to Chinese Lunar Calendar.