4 Years And Counting: Another Success For SSA

Continuing on the back of their success from 2012, the Singapore Students’ Association (SSA) has once again brought together societies of ANU for a monumental night of culture. This year’s Night Market featured 23 societies from the culturally diverse community of the ANU to share food and entertainment of their cultures. The event was held on Thursday 7th May from 5:30 PM onwards and was luckily met with excellent weather. Unfortunately this event did coincide with several other popular events, but regardless the Night Market did attract nearly a thousand people.

Touted as one of the ANU’s greatest food events, the 2015 Night Market didn’t fail to impress with a strong show of Asian, African, South American, and others with their cultural foods. Particularly notable foods included Hainan chicken, biryani, curries, and many other spectacular dishes. The food was so well received by guests that no society reported having any left-overs, it was all devoured! There was no shortage of food brought to the event, however, with over 1300 people attending on the Facebook event, there was (literally) tons of food.

To complement the food, six societies volunteered to perform. These societies were: ANU Dance, ANU K-Pop, ANU Street Performance Academy, B&G Singers, AIESEC and a Chinese Orchestra member from the ANU community. Orchestrating the smooth flow of events were the MC’s Jerry Gay and Charmaine Seow.

Set-up required a tight deadline starting at 10AM and finishing at 5:30PM when the event started. Regardless, the efforts of the decorators were well received with good weather and a well-set display of lights and sound system for music.

As someone who has held a similar sized event, there should be a special thank-you given to the directors of the Night Market. Events of this scale often include several hundred unpaid volunteer hours from the directors, which often go with minimal show of appreciation. So, on behalf of the ANU community, we would like to thank the directors of the 2015 Night Market. We are already looking forward to next year’s 2016 Night Market by SSA!