Woroni is Hiring for Semester 1 2024!

Woroni is hiring for Semester 1 2024! Positions are available across our Art, Management, News, Radio and TV portfolios.

At Woroni we are committed to:

• producing interesting, entertaining, informative and regular content across our print, multimedia, radio and online media platforms;
  • contributing to a sense of university identity and reflecting the scholarly and cultural diversity of the ANU community;
  • promoting open public dialogue and debate in the ANU community;
  • promoting awareness of the variety of curricular and extra-curricular activities undertaken by students at ANU;
  • discovering and developing the creative talents of students at ANU in journalism and the media arts;
  • promoting the best practice in professional journalism; and
  • being innovative and exploring new media forms.

A great student media organisation is for everyone. Student media should promote conversations, and provide a platform for people with different views, identities and lived experiences. Our ultimate aim is to build a culture of inclusivity and diversity across our platforms. A large portion of ANU’s students relocate to Canberra to study, which means our community is extremely diverse. Woroni is funded by, created by and consumed by ANU students, and our mission is to produce print, radio and television content that truly reflects this community.

Woroni is committed to diversity in hiring and encourages applications from ANU students of all backgrounds. These are volunteer positions, however individuals may receive an honorarium based on their commitment to the role. If you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact woronieic@gmail.com. If you would like to contribute to our mission, see below for how you can get involved with student media!

Applications will close at midnight on Sunday the 18th of February 2024. Interviews may be conducted at any time throughout or after the application period.

ART

The Woroni Art team has many exciting opportunities available for ANU students interested in all aspects of art and graphic design. We encourage absolute creative freedom in your artistry. Becoming a part of the team is a great way for you to get experience in having your work published (and looks great on any resume or in any portfolio). It can also help with giving you as an artist an extra boost in confidence in your own skills and ability by providing you with a platform to show off your skills. The actual workload is bent to accommodate each individual’s other commitments. There will be three different Sub-Editor roles available within the Art portfolio and all Sub-Editor will be responsible for creating a number of pages for each Woroni print edition. Each role will then have additional duties, as detailed below. If anything can be done to make the application process more accessible, or if you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact woroniart@gmail.com.

Artist:

Artists are responsible for creating consistently high quality art for Woroni and must be able to stick to strict deadlines. Usually, this is three to six pieces of art per print cycle, to be published either online or in print. Additionally, the work requires proficiency in producing art of specific structural qualities (PPI, sizing, CMYK colour palette etc.). Artists must be responsive to the Art Editor and are expected to attend meetings, Woroni events and social activities. Artists are also expected to contribute to the marketing and promoting of content. Some experience in producing art and/or designs under instruction is preferred but not required. Ideally, Artists would work well within a team, are approachable, and want to bring their own ideas to the team!

Apply to join the Art Team here

MANAGEMENT

If anything can be done to make the application process more accessible, or if you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact woronieic@gmail.com.

Social Media Sub-Editor:

Social Media Sub-Editors work with the Woroni board and other sub-editors to manage our online platforms and overall image. This includes scheduling posts across platforms for teams, creating and designing infographics, and pitching and making independent posts.
Social Media sub-editors are expected to work 5-10 hours per week, including attending a fortnightly meeting. We’re looking for someone who is enthusiastic, skilled with social media, and wants to get involved in student media.

Apply to join the Social Media Team here

Senior Events Officer:

The Senior Events Officer will work alongside the rest of the management team, including two events officers, to organise, coordinate and manage events run and funded by Woroni. The individual will work closely with the Executive and the rest of the Board to plan events and ensure the administration work of organising events is completed effectively and in a timely manner. The ideal candidate will have significant experience in organising events, will be effective in both written and verbal communication and will be able to help manage a small team. The successful individual will be expected to commit an average of 7-10 hours a week across the semester.

Events Officer:

Woroni is looking for an Events Officer to help us run and manage a variety of events throughout the semester. With a large budget and organisational support, this is a great chance to get involved in event planning and understand the administration of Woroni. Experience organising events in and outside ANU is preferable but not required. Required work includes planning events, contacting suppliers, booking venues, MCing and helping to support our Board as they run events. Events Officers are expected to dedicate an average 5-8 hours per week and attend fortnightly meetings.

Apply to join the Events Team here

NEWS 

Woroni’s News Team reports on the current affairs impacting the ANU community and students in particular. It is a fast-paced work environment where members of the team report on a variety of topics, ranging from student politics, changes to the University’s policies, to the Federal Budget. The News Team meets each week and everyone meets tight deadlines. It is a fun, closely-knit team that helps create excellent writers who work well under pressure. If anything can be done to make the application process more accessible, or if you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact woroninewseditor@gmail.com.

Senior News Reporter:

Senior News Reporters are responsible for the coverage of news stories and relevant information, while also sourcing news leads, researching and investigating stories, writing drafts and also editing the drafts of news reporters. They must be highly active in their communication, with the role requiring a commitment of 10-15 hours per week. Senior reporters should be confident writers, able to give clear, constructive feedback, work to tight deadlines, competent in pitching articles and capable of instructing news reporters. Prior experience in student journalism is a strength.

News Reporter:

News Reporters regularly write articles for Woroni News on events and issues that impact ANU students. They are expected to engage with campus life, write, on average, an article a week, and attend weekly team meetings. The role will also involve attending various events throughout the semester, like festivals, non-autonomous collective meetings, protests etc. News Reporters must be able to: write concisely and accurately; meet deadlines at short notice; pitch story ideas; work well in a team environment; and be confident in independently investigating issues further. A Woroni News Reporter is required to dedicate 5-10 hours per week to their role, and must write one article per week.

News Columnist:

News Columnists write articles that include the usual reporting with some additional commentary and analysis. They will primarily be tasked with news topics which require more contextualisation than a regular news article can provide. A columnist should show an appetite for complex topics and should demonstrate an ability to create comprehensive and sophisticated analysis. A Woroni News Columnist is required to dedicate 5-10 hours per week to their role, and must write one-two articles per fortnight.

Apply to join the News Team here

RADIO

The Radio team runs Woroni Radio; ANU’s student radio. From scheduled broadcasts to one-off specials, there is a kaleidoscope of content produced by Woroni Radio. We are seeking passionate and energetic individuals for the role of Producer. If anything can be done to make the application process more accessible, or if you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact woroniradioeditor@gmail.com.

Producer:

A Producer provides both technical and moral support to presenters throughout the semester. Producers and presenters will work together to create engaging radio shows that air on a weekly basis. They will also assist their Executive Producer with either Creative or Features content production. This role is approximately 5-7 hours per week and no past experience is necessary as long as you are keen to learn and passionate about helping our presenters create quality radio content! The ideal candidate will be approachable, organised, responsible, reliable, a good communicator, a team player and a critical thinker.

Apply to join the Radio Team here

TV

The TV team at Woroni produces video content ranging from campus life to news reporting. We’re looking for fun, creative, and passionate sub-editors and senior sub-editors to join the team! 

Production Assistant:

The Production Assistant role is a versatile, entry-level position crucial to the video content production process within a team. Key duties include developing video concepts, filming with audio and camera equipment, and video editing using Adobe Premiere Pro. This position offers an opportunity for skill development in various media production areas. Although prior experience in media production is advantageous, it is not mandatory. The role is expected to require approx. 8-10 hours of work per week, including compulsory weekly team meetings that you must be available for. This is a volunteer position, with the possibility of honoraria.

Producer:

The TV Producer role is essential for facilitating video production in small teams, focusing on all production stages for quality delivery. This position, which reports directly to the Executive Producer, involves scheduling, creative direction, and collaboration with Production Assistants.  Candidates should have basic to intermediate production skills (camera, editing, production). This position is ideal for individuals familiar with media production looking to leverage their creative skills in a team environment. The role is expected to require approx. 8-10 hours of work per week, including compulsory weekly team meetings that you must be available for. This is a volunteer position, with the possibility of honoraria.

Executive Producer:

The Executive Producer role is a leadership position within the video production team, requiring close collaboration with the TV Editor for effective management. Responsibilities include coordinating a production team and contributing to video development, as well as camera operation and video editing, and providing both assistance and troubleshooting in these areas. This position is ideal for someone with experience in film production and managing a team, who is able to manage a more significant time commitment. The role is expected to require approx. 10-15 hours of work per week, including compulsory weekly team meetings that you must be available for. This is a volunteer position, with the possibility of honoraria.

TV-News Producer:

This position plays a crucial role in bridging the TV and News portfolios to produce multimedia style journalistic content. Working closely with the TV-News Executive Producer, this position requires attendance at weekly team meetings across both TV and News. Responsibilities include content development, camera operation, and video editing. This position is ideal for someone with some experience in media production who is passionate about multimedia journalism.The role is expected to require approx. 8-10 hours of work per week, including compulsory weekly team meetings that you must be available for. This is a volunteer position, with the possibility of honoraria.

Apply to join the TV Team here