Two red wombats at podiums. The words "Woroni elections 2019" appear between them.

Woroni Elections: Nominations Open

During the week of 21-25 October students will be given the opportunity to elect editors to the ANU Student Media Board.

Nominations are now open, and will close at 5pm on Friday 11th October.

The primary responsibility of the editors is to oversee production of Woroni, ANU’s official student publication; broadcasts of Woroni Radio and Woroni TV, and to manage the affairs of the ANU Student Media Association.

Nominations are now open for the positions of

·         Managing Editor

·         News Editor

·         Radio Editor

Please see position descriptions below.

Nominations must include:

a. The candidate’s name;

b. The candidate’s student number;

c. The candidate’s current year of study;

d. The position(s) the candidate is nominating for;

e. One example of written, videographic, photographic or multi-media work which

is the original work of the nominee; and

f. A short biography including why you are interested in being an editor of Woroni

(no more than 200 words). ​

Please note that only nominees who have made three valid contributions to ANU Student Media over a period of two weeks and one day (that is, a period longer than the nomination period) will be accepted.

Please also submit a statement on campaign funding – the Electoral regulations (9.1) states:

Upon nomination, each candidate must complete and lodge with the Returning Officer a statement of intention identifying anticipated sources of campaign funding. This statement will include all financial and non-financial contributions to the campaign, including but not limited to printing facilities, paper, paint, glue, T-shirts, BBQ supplies and other sundry items.

Note that campaign related expenses must not exceed $50 (electoral regulation 8.1).

Please send all nominations to the Returning Officer, Roxanne Missingham, at (Roxanne.Missingham@anu.edu.au) by 5pm on Friday 11 October.

No late nominations will be accepted.

Any queries about the election process should be directed to the Returning Officer.

Position Descriptions:

Managing Editor

The Managing Editor acts as the treasurer of the association and is resposible for managing the finances of the organisation. As a member of the executive, the Managing Editor is heavily involved in the setting the direction of the organisation, including preparing the annual budget, and submitting our bid for SSAF funding. Furthermore, the Managing Editor is involved in co-ordinating external relationships, inluding with advertisers.

News Editor

The News Editor leads a team of reporters who cover news concerning the ANU and its students. The News Editor will be tasked with sourcing, editing and writing timely content. The News Editor will be someone who is constantly on their toes and able to respond immediately to campus-wide events.

Radio Editor

The role of the Radio Editor is to oversee the radio team in the production of  content for Woroni Radio. This includes working with the Radio Producers to manage weekly broadcasts of radio shows. The Radio Editor also oversees specialised radio events, and DJ workshops, with a focus on the branding of Woroni Radio more generally. Management and operation of the radio studio and the technology associated is another important element of the role.