Woroni Elections 2020: Nominations Open

During the week of 19-23 October (week 11), students will be given the opportunity to elect editors to the ANU Student Media Board. 

The primary responsibility of the editors is to oversee production of Woroni, ANU’s official student publication; broadcasts of Woroni Radio and WoroniPhotography & TV, and to manage the affairs of the ANU Student Media Association.

Nominations are now open for the positions of 

• Managing Editor
  • Content Editor
  • News Editor
  • TV Editor

Nominations must include:

• The candidate’s name;
  • The candidate’s student number;
  • The candidate’s current year of study;
  • The position(s) the candidate is nominating for;
  • One example of written, videographic, photographic or multi-media work which
  • is the original work of the nominee; and
  • A short biography including why you are interested in being an editor of Woroni
  • (no more than 200 words). 

Please note that only nominees who have made three valid contributions to ANU Student Media over a period of two weeks and one day (that is, a period longer than the nomination period) will be accepted.

Please also submit a statement on campaign funding as per electoral regulation 9.1. Note that campaign related expenses must not exceed $50 as per electoral regulation 8.1.

Please send all nominations to the Returning Officer, Roxanne Missingham, at (Roxanne.Missingham@anu.edu.au) by 5pm Sunday 11th October. 

No late nominations will be accepted. 

Any queries about the election process should be directed to the Returning Officer.

Position descriptions

Managing Editor

The Managing Editor is responsible for creating and maintaining the books and financial recording of the Association, and managing ANUSM’s business relationships, as well as, preparing, managing and regularly reporting on the budget. The Managing Editors is also responsible for securing adverting prospects for the Association, working closely with their Business Development and Marketing Sub-Editors.

Content Editor

The Content Editor manages a team of sub-editors who source, pitch and edit content for both online and print publication. They must set the direction for content and ensure that Woroni produces interesting, engaging and diverse content. For online, the Content Editor must oversee the online team and ensure weekly content is produced in the column, satire and reviews portfolios. For the magazine, the content editor sets and enforces deadlines for each stage of the publication process, and works with the art editor to put together the layout for each edition. They work with the board executive and the print team in deciding the theme and style of each edition.

News Editor

The News Editor is responsible for the Woroni news content and is part of the print team and is responsible for setting the direction for the news division. The News Editor’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, ensuring ANUSM is reporting and investigating news for the ANU student body, and writing and editing news pieces. They manage a team of news reporters who write the news pieces for the print and online media platforms of Woroni. The News Editor sources and delegates stories, edits and writes articles. The News Editor must be consistently available and able to respond immediately to breaking events and have a good understanding of how the ANU and student groups work.

TV Editor

The role of the Television Editor is to oversee the Television Team in the production of video content for the Woroni TV platform. This includes working with the Television sub-editors to execute video pitched through the drafting of scripts, conducting of interviews, filming and editing of footage. The TV Editor oversees the production process from start to publication, working with sub-editors to produce engaging student-driven content within existing video formats, as well as expanding the Woroni TV platform through the creation of new segments.