WORONI ELECTION CANDIDATES 2022

Candidates for Deputy Editor-in-Chief

1. Daniel Crane

I have a vision where instead of operating around the peripheries of student society as a spectator, Woroni becomes central to student life and in contributing to the welfare of the community.
In terms of my experience, I joined Woroni in the first semester of 2021. The first article I ever wrote for Woroni ended up being the second most-read news article of 2021. In the time since, highlights for me have included being appointed as the first-ever senior investigator at Woroni, and interviewing Bob Katter, as well as other politicians.
One area which needs improvement is our current arms-length approach to student advocacy organisations. These associations have a wealth of first-hand experience with the concerns and perspectives of students. They painstakingly produce excellent reports which unfortunately don’t get enough publicity to generate change. I know that a report is only as good as the extent to which people read it.

As Deputy Editor-in-Chief, I will do everything in my power to ensure Woroni is proactively liaising with student organisations to provide them with a platform. In doing so, I believe Woroni can become a powerful force for student advocacy, without sacrificing journalistic ethics or our impartiality

2. Saad Khalid

Woroni is love, Woroni is life, and Woroni means a lot to me.

I am proud to have been part of it, for the past year-and-a-half as an Editor on our Board, as Portfolio Head (Radio), and  Executive Producer. We shined throughout pandemic – provided vital information, alleviated stories, and stoked meaningful conversations. Student Media is an integral part of University, I aspire to drive meaningful change as Deputy Editor-in-Chief.  

With unparalleled understanding of Woroni, my passion is unabated. I want to represent our student body, to develop the next generation of content creators and journalists.  I’ve worked to transform Woroni Radio into a development powerhouse – hosting several events w/ Live Musics, DJ’ing, Media Career Panels, and Podcasting. Bringing in experience from the Government, Nonprofits ACT Government, Amnesty International Australia, the Canberra Multicultural Service, and as a Journalist/Producer – I have been an active member of the ANU,  and wish to continue my contribution.  

As DEIC, I will work to ensure that principles of journalism are upheld. That Woroni continues to play its role in university, respecting viewpoints and providing a ‘megaphone’ Our student base has immense reach, and its time we showcase that. My passion to grow the organisation shall continue unhindered! 

Candidates for Art Editor

1. Indy Shead

I am interested in the position of Art Editor as I would love to expand the portfolio into multimodal and interdisciplinary directions. I have experience creating and sourcing diverse and multimodal artforms as the Interdisciplinary Content Sub-Editor, successfully establishing and pioneering the new role this Semester. I would love to organise Woroni run installations and exhibitions to promote the talented artists we have on campus, as well as engaging more students with art classes, group projects and public performances.

My vision for the magazine is to extend the forms, styles and mediums highlighted, featuring photography and thought-provoking front covers by collaborating with student artists. I would focus on giving art its own focused space within Woroni, pushing content through social media and creating a designated promotional section on the website. I would love to promote art across multiple platforms, collaborating with TV and Radio to create greater engagement – showcasing expanded versions of the art featured in the magazine, such as ‘art that nearly made the cover’. I would love to start ongoing art collections, promoted on the website and across social media, with a possible print future, accompanied by training to enhance the art team’s skills.

2. Xuming Du (Angel)

Creating art for Woroni is one of the few things that has given me a sense of fulfilment in an otherwise unenjoyable university experience. As an artist, I am fascinated with the translation of words into visualisation and becoming art editor will facilitate my deeper involvement in that process. My favourite style to explore is surrealism, which I believe could be integrated quite well, and I am currently halfway through my three-year degree, so I have been at Woroni for a year now as I started May 2021. I work as a graphic designer and candle maker for a store called Miss Blooms and I am the 2022 social & design officer for the ANU Environment Collective after doing graphic design as part of their media and comms team in 2021.

Additionally, I have designed for ANU Women’s Revue and done some freelancing on the side. As someone with an interest in art and a keen eye for aesthetics alongside experience across professional and subcommittee contexts, I am capable of committing my time, effort and expertise into this role, but most of all I just genuinely loved being at Woroni and I want to take that further.

3. Rose Dixon-Campbell

Woroni has been my creative home for nearly 2 years and I’ve enjoyed every moment of every role I’ve performed within the content team. Through my experience as senior sub-editor of the magazine I have come to recognise an immense potential in the art portfolio that I would like to see realised as Art Editor.

The art team are the unsung heroes of Woroni and I plan to use my experience and connections to more comprehensively integrate the team into the social fabric of the organisation. This will lead to strengthened collaborative relationships between portfolios and my experience across Woroni makes me uniquely empowered to advocate for the art team under such an arrangement.

Underlining my plans and goals is a love for Woroni, the content we produce and the inspiring and intelligent people who define its culture and output. The art team is one of the most talented and industrious ensembles in the organisation and such excellence deserves a supportive and confident leader with a vision for growth. I have a refreshed perspective and I will work hard to deliver positive outcomes both for members of the team and for the productivity of the portfolio.

4. Jasmin Small

Hello! My name is Jasmin Small and I’m nominating myself for the position of art editor. I’m a first year from Sydney and would love the chance to contribute to Woroni as both an editor and an artist for the rest of my degree. I’m passionate about and love the content the magazine produces. Despite being a first year, I believe I have a lot to contribute from my previous experience working on logo concepts and with other amateur magazines. I love learning (my YouTube history would tell you this) and would love the opportunity to learn in this new role as well!

Radio Editor (uncontested)

1. Fergus Sherwood

I have been at Woroni for a couple of years now and in that time I have seen how fantastic Woroni Radio can be as a creative opportunity for students, whether it is to hone their craft and improve their skills or just have a chill time in the studio each week with friends. I am committed to continuing the work of making Woroni Radio enriching to participate in and easy to access. I am running for Radio Editor so I can improve on the work of my predecessors in making Woroni Radio more accessible, improving the services we provide and improving our supportive role in the student music scene.

News Editor (uncontested)

1. Alexander Lane

Woroni is an organisation which, once you join it, you simply want to give your all to it. It’s a thriving workplace with a fantastic culture, and with people who engage brilliantly not just in campus life but society and politics.

I view being News Editor as my chance to give back to the organisation and help create the same experience for future News Reporters. I want to maintain the welcoming environment that offers many their first experiences of training in journalism, especially when the ANU doesn’t offer a journalism degree. Moreover, following Juliette’s lead, I aim to develop Woroni’s network of contactable politicians and provide the unique take of how Australian politics affects university students. This will all be based on the bedrock of continuing Woroni’s coverage of campus affairs, student politics and capturing how the ANU treats students.

I’m aptly suited to being News Editor because I bring an organised, and hardworking ethic, and a willingness to listen. This means not only that I’m well equipped to enact my own ideas for Woroni News, such as curating our news infographics and providing editorial training, but also to facilitate and enact the ideas of others reporters in the team.