Submissions Open for Edition 6!

Woroni is now accepting submissions for Edition 6! The theme is Depravity—think debauchery, revelry, chaos and pleasure of all kinds. We strongly encourage submissions from BIPOC voices. It is important that our publication reflects the diversity of the ANU community so all can tell their stories.

We want your best O-Week stories.
We want your best drunken night out stories.
We want your Tinder horror stories.
We want your odes to Moose and your eulogies to Wolf.
We want to know the best thing you’ve done on campus.
We want to know the worst thing you’ve done on campus.

Prompts below:

Comment

• A personal/reflective piece from someone who grew up thinking that something was ‘depraved’ and unacceptable but then found themselves enjoying the thing (could be anything from alcohol to drugs to orgies)
  • Reflective/philosophical piece about the limits of depravity. Notions of what is ‘wild’ or ‘depraved’ are tied to ideas about morality and these have changed a lot over the years. But are there some lines that shouldn’t be crossed? Or is it all just a product of the times and cultures we live in?
  • Socially distanced parties- when the pandemic started, there was plenty online about zoom parties or DJs doing livestreams so that people could party at home. How good is this kind of partying?
  • A piece about ‘problematic’ fantasies. In literature and media we often see depictions of behaviours or sexual practises that are seen as problematic. For example, erotic fiction about rape fantasies or cheating or bestiality (anyone who has ready any fanfiction will be familiar with tons of these). Opinions seem to be divided into those who think fantasies are just fantasies and those who think the people who have/enjoy these fantasies are promoting problematic behaviours. Which side has more weight to their argument?
  • A personal/reflective piece about ideas of a ‘wild youth’ from someone who doesn’t necessarily enjoy being ‘wild’. Can you enjoy yourself without FOMO? Is there a lot of societal pressure to be ‘wild’? Are those who don’t enjoy revelry and debauchery in their youth not really living their life?

Culture

• An informative/reflective piece on the moral and/or creative benefits of drugs, particularly psychedelics.
  • How first years at ANU in 2020 are coming up with new ways to rebel, experiment and have that college life during COVID-19? Reflections on how they’ve dealt with the restrictions – are they engaging in more low-key partying, making friends over drunk conversations in bars rather than in the Moose bathrooms?
  • Reflective piece/creative pastiche of wild times at College/on exchange/being young in general.
  • Ode to upstairs Moose/Wolf  – reflection on the firsts, friendships, dramas, iconic nights at these establishments.
  • Info guide of best underground partying/Bush Doofs around Canberra.

Creative

• Take the reader on a journey through your wildest night at uni. Maybe you passed out in Moose’s bathrooms. Maybe you were in your room wishing you were.
  • Create a magical realism story where witches and zombies move into your nice suburban neighbourhood. Who are the most depraved? The undead or your neighbours?
  • Write a dystopian story about the crumbling of society’s values, and where that leaves individuals.
  • Write about a wild party with raunchy guests and describe what they get up to.
  • Serenade your favourite nightclub with a song or poem. “Oh Moose, you made me loose…..”

Sound like your kind of party? Here’s how to get involved:

Join our Facebook group Woroni Contributors.
Email all drafts and pitches to woronicontent@gmail.com
Follow us on Instagram
Keep an eye on the website for sourcing and hiring posts.

All non-fiction — 1000 words or less
All long-form fiction – 1500 words or less

Send us your drafts or pitches by September 25th – the Friday of Week 7.

Let the depravity begin.