Keep Your Ears Out For - FASHFEST 2016

15-05-16-fashfest_01_web1

Fashfest have made a bold, uber-Canberran statement in their choice of musicians. Local artists form almost the entirety of the 25 musician lineup set to perform during the fashion festival, so Woroni’s here to give you a small preview of what you can expect.

Ashley Feraude, also known as Magnifik, is the Fashfest Director of Music and one of the notable performers. He’s a seasoned performer both at Fashfest and internationally, with a host of accolades not often seen in CBR. His comparative industry experience and knowledge, as well as an obvious ear for a banger, comes out in his rich sound. Magnifik specialises in classic, deep and disco House music, and his vocal collaborations with local artist NeonHoney (Chantelle Milin) will also be on show. Of their collaborated tracks, the song No Need To Run is not to be missed.

NeonHoney brings to Fashfest a string of heartfelt lyrics and simple acoustic melodies. Her rock sound is shaped by vocals similar to that of Evanescene’s Amy Lee, though her acoustic melodies and guitar create a highly individual sound which differentiates her from the electronic lineup.

There are many other acts to keep an eye (and ear) out for, including Mondecreen. They’re a duo who describe their mission as ‘[to] make feet and hearts move’, and will be launching an extended play single during the event. They have a bright electronic sound, with heavy beats and a groove that’s a testament to their successful pursuit of raw, good music. Highlights include singles Losin’ It and Dark & Day. Niche electronic soul music is an absolute jam and will compliment Fashfest to no end, though every show has curated music to fit perfectly – to the extent that Magnifik and Mondecreen have collaborated to create a soundtrack specific to the event.

Tak-Un-Da is an up and coming hip hop artist who will also be launching a new single at the event, and whose songs feature free flowing lyrics and catchy tunes that have a classic hip hop vibe. His recent tune Sex So Good gives an indication of what this internationally acclaimed young rapper can create.

Musically, Fashfest 2016 will be the biggest year yet – stay tuned for artist profiles and EP reviews.

FASHFEST 2016 is a 3 day festival showcase of design, film, art and music held 29 Sep-01 Oct. For more information on the festival, visit fashfest.com.au.