Inward Bound 2016

inward-bound-1-e1473375759969

Across the University’s eight halls and colleges, training miles are winding down and final preparations are beginning for this year’s Bupa Inward Bound on October 14th – 15th. Now in its 54th year, we will see 228 runners, 300 volunteers and over 500 spectators come together to endure the challenges and rewards of this unique adventure race. We’re excited to have, for the first time, a team of staff members from the ANU mathematics department who, along with a team from the Australian Defence Force Academy, will compete in division 6 this year.

This year, Inward Bound is excited to be teaming up with Batyr. Founded by ANU alumnus Sebastian Robertson in 2010, Batyr aims to raise awareness of mental illness amongst young Australians. Through this partnership, we hope to highlight parallels between Batyr’s message and the nature of an event such as Inward Bound. Long endurance events can be a powerful metaphor for an individual’s battle with mental illness. A battle which can be fought alone but seems to pass more quickly when we reach out to others and talk. Through the years that I’ve been involved with Inward Bound, I’ve witnessed people run distances and achieve feats that they never thought possible. It goes to show that with the encouragement and support of others, even the toughest of challenges can be met. Each competitor in the event this year will receive a pair of socks from Batyr which can be worn in the event to show their support for this message.

We were very fortunate to have Bupa join us this year as the event’s principal sponsor. Their support has allowed us to provide a free bus service to all supporters to get to and from Endpoint. We strongly encourage any spectator wishing to attend the finish line to catch one of the 8 buses departing from each of the colleges at 6:30 am. There is also a late bus departing Union Court at 9am. More information about spectating, including times for the return shuttle can be found here: http://anuinwardbound.com/important-info/spectators/

After Division 7 has boarded their bus, links to the live tracking and information on Endpoint will be posted on the website and the Facebook page. It’s important that spectators know that if they plan to drive themselves and others to Endpoint, that they have to register their car online before leaving ANU on Saturday morning, this can be done on the webpage above. The website is the place to visit throughout the event for live tracking, twitter and snapchat updates.

I would like to give a big thank you in advance to all volunteers who help the event to run smoothly, without your efforts the event simply could not go ahead. If you would like to volunteer for the event, there is still time to sign up, and it is highly rewarding! I’m looking forward to seeing all competitors at the final briefing on Tuesday 11th October in Copland Lecture Theatre at 6pm.