Interhall Sport: A Year thus Far

screen-shot-2016-09-19-at-4-19-41-pm

As the ANU student body breath a sigh of relief and welcome the two-week teaching break, let us cast our eyes over what has been, and partake in the wonderfully controversial task of ‘predicting’ what awaits us in the world of interhall sport.

Term 3 saw the lead Johns had on the sports shield strengthen. Although their boy’s performance was adequate, the resounding reason for the college’s success thus far has been the performance of their girls teams.  Three first place results – in touch, soccer and netball – leave no doubt in anyone’s mind who are the source of Johns dominance.

Johns began Term 3 with a 10 point lead, and now sit 33 points in front. It would be something truly marvellous if Johns were to lose the sport shield from here.

Netball saw a thrilling final fought between Johns and Griffin. The result never in the doubt from the opening whistle with Johns being deserved victors. The day fell in conjunction with ANU’s Sport’s ‘Women In Sport’ day, run by Mary Waters, which was a really fantastic day and a great success as all that were present will testify.

The touch weekend was slightly different this year, both in composition of the schedule and in the weather, with many of the opening round games taking place in sleet and bitterly cold winds. The Johns girls were a formidable outfit, not losing a game and beating Uni Lodge in the Grand final. Not to be outdone, however, Lodge sought revenge in the boy’s competition, taking out the title after a fortnight of dominance.

The football competitions were played out throughout the stifling cold of winter on the ever-welcoming Willows ovals. In the girls final, Johns overcame a spirited Burgmann outfit, after the Burgie girls recorded the upset of the season in the semis by beating a previously undefeated B&G. Credit must go to the girls for their efforts, remarkable performance and even greater sportswomanship in light of sour off-field circumstances.

The male competition was dominated from start to finish by Griffin and Fenner. The two, a class above the rest, demonstrated their talent with some impressive performances across the competition. Ultimately, Griffin emerged victorious from a fiery encounter with James Mount knocking home a hat trick.

Sport Shield Standings going into Term 4 are as follows:

1.     Johns 151
  2.     B&G 118
  3.     Burgmann 115
  4.     Griffin 107
  5.     Uni Lodge 103
  6.     Fenner 65
  7.     Bruce 61
  8.     Ursies 50

The sports that await us in Term 4 are the ever-looming Inward Bound (mixed) , Cricket (mixed), Softball (female) and Table Tennis (Mixed).

ISO looks forward to Term 4, and the good fortune that nears. Whether you are on the field or a spectator, a bag of fun that awaits!