How to Win at the Races

The sun is out, the pollen is falling, exams are near, and this all means one thing… it’s spring and it’s time to go racing!

The Spring Carnival of racing is a highlight on the Australian social, cultural and sporting calendar and a great pastime still enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of racegoers each spring. While the main focus is to win over the bookies and make some hard earned cash, it’s also important to win in the highly esteemed fashion stakes. Things can get very competitive out there, not only on the track amongst the jockeys, but also on the runway. This goes for the boys too, so here are the key tips to looking your best on track this summer.

1. Colour

It’s spring time so have some fun! The races are all about showing off, being flamboyant and standing out. This means bright shirts, ties and pocket squares. Don’t feel conservative on track, because the spring carnival is anything but. Blues, cool reds, purples are big spring-time colours and with loads of variations and designs available, make the most of them.

2. Pattern

Patterned shirts are a staple for a classic bold spring look. Make sure your shirt is interesting and stylish. Whether it is stripes, checks or some other design, keep your shirt captivating and break free from the usual trend.

3. Mix and Match

You need to dress up, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a matching blazer and trouser suit combination. Feel free to mix and match in keeping in line with the theme of flamboyancy. Wearing a different blazer and trousers, so long as they complement each other, is a great way of creating an edgy, fashionable look. A classic look is the navy blazer with cream or fawn trousers.

4. Accessorise

Sunglasses, pocket squares, tie bars… all the little things can make a difference to your overall look and will ensure you are looking as sharp as you can out on the track. It’s the little things that count.

Just remember that the race track is all about style, and breaking free from your comfort zone. Have fun and mark this wonderful time of year with a new sense of style. Be bold, daring and courageous on track this spring and you’ll be sure to win at the races.

Photo: Nic Bills