German Scientists Prove that a “Ghap Yhear” Increases Intelligence

people-371230_960_720

Commonly labeled as a year to ‘experience the world’ or ‘find oneself’, the 12-month hiatus from studying has now been scientifically proven to increase a student’s intelligence.

Funded by the Technological University of Munich, a team of German scientists have discovered that a specific region behind the forehead and left ear is stimulated if a student partakes in a gap year.

“We have found that the section connecting the left prefrontal cortex and left temporal cortex are linked with intelligence and gap year participation,” said head scientist, Professor Claus von Art. The extent of increase in intelligence is still unclear, however, a student’s ability to apply cultural awareness to their studies is largely attributed to a gap year.

When questioned if there are any variabilities in the degree of intelligence, Von Art stated, “the more exotic the location the more intelligence a student is expected to possess.”

According to Arts/Law Undergraduate, Siobhan Blackwall-Cox, “After taking my ghap yhear in a Peruvian shepherd village high in the Andean Mountain range, I feel as if my intelligence levels are light years beyond anyone in my cohort. I always thought I was just, you know, more spiritually connected, you know, to the world around me. Like, there is no race but the human race, you know?”

“I think travel is the best thing you can do to like expand your mind? The universe has a way of making sure everything works out in the end,” Siobhan continued, “Of course, my parents are paying for my flights… and accommodation and a daily allowance. But some things are just more important than material wealth.”

Considering the results of the study carried out by the German Institute, the Australian National University is reviewing the decision to base their admission into arts and humanities related courses upon whether or not the student undertook a gap year. “They just understand the world on a deeper level,” explained Professor Paul Pickering, Dean of the College of Arts and Social Sciences.