Faux or Simply Faux Pas?

Whether it is for personal ethical or moral reasons, or simply that you cannot afford it, new and very realistic faux goods are appearing everywhere.  This category of goods accommodates every budget.

Faux fur and leather were once looked down upon as cheap substitutes, however they are now highly regarded, proving to be substantial competition for the real deal.

Design houses have dedicated themselves to moving away from animal fur and leather to becoming a producer of vegan goods.  This means that not a single animal is used in the production of any item.

Faux goods allow the use of beautiful textures in clothes to be used without harming a single animal.

Designers have been incredibly clever in how they mimic the texture, appearance and look of the real thing using mostly synthetic substitutes.  PVC often replaces beautiful, buttery soft leather, which is essentially plastic.  Mod acrylic is fluffy and soft in appearance, and can easily be mistaken for a real fur item.

The price of these faux goods comes in an incredible range: a faux leather mini backpack from high end English designer, Stella McCartney will set you back $1,332, however a faux fur jacket from Australian Label, Unreal Fur, will cost you $250.

The move of numerous designers within the fashion industry towards faux goods has been a result of the push towards sustainable fashion.

Sustainable fashion is an environmentally and ethically conscious way to produce garments.  The push towards environmentally friendly fashion rose from a desire to make garments that lasted and weren’t going to end up in the trash.  These items and the production of these items strive to have very little impact on the environment.

Sustainable fashion also stretches its horizons to where the garment is made, how it is made, and by whom.  There is a great awareness of the process of creating a sustainable garment by ethical means.

You can do your part for sustainable fashion by purchasing from thrift stores, buying vintage goods or being conscious of where and how the product was made.  Even purchasing a real fur from a vintage shop, rather than purchasing it brand new is positively contributing to the efforts towards creating an environment for ethical and sustainable fashion.