Events Guide 9 - 16 April

Hey guys! For those of you left behind in Canberra—whether you’re a townie, working through the holidays, or just can’t handle the constant parental surveillance back home— I hope you’ve all had the chance during the break to explore the many sights and events Canberra has to offer. If not, here are my suggestions for this week:

Sydney electronic duo Boo Seeka are playing at Transit Bar on Thursday 13 April as part of their national tour – get a more intimate set before they hit Groovin the Moo and Splendour in the Grass later this year! They are promoting the single ‘Does This Last’ from their upcoming album.

Image: Boo Seeka

The National Folk Festival featuring this week is a program that was designed to inspire, enliven, entertain through celebrating the expression of folk-life. The vibrant festival showcases over 200 international and domestic acts – music, dance, spoken word, circus and film – which you can enjoy while sitting at a themed bar or tasting finger food from the market stalls. The festival is on from 13 – 17 April at the Exhibition Park so if you have some time, check it out –there seems to be something for everyone!

Head to Reload on Wednesday 12 April for a Games Night that it is a little more politically incorrect, interactive and comedic than usual. Including Cards Against Humanity, there will be a number of games that take inspiration from Cyanide and Happiness and ‘never have I ever’. Take a group of friends, meet some new people or if you don’t want to participate, spend a few hours laughing at strangers while you enjoy $5 beers and pizza.

On the same night – meaning you can potentially attend both if you’re game – is Women Who Inspire: An evening of Celebration, at the Ainslie Arts Centre. From 6:30 – 9:30pm the hosts, One Woman Project, will screen short film ‘Canberra Women Who Inspire’. They are encouraging young people to strive for their dreams, regardless of what they may be. There will also be two performances by local bands and an opportunity to chat to some of the women behind the film.  

On Thursday 13 April, the National Press Club Australia is hosting a discussion regarding the key themes that have woven through the foreign policies of every Australian government for the past seventy-five years. The talk is titled ‘Australia’s Fear of Abandonment: Foreign Policy in an Era of Global Change’, and will be led by ANU Chancellor Gareth Evans and Adjunct Professor at the ANU’s Crawford School of Public Policy Allan Gyngell.

Another interesting one is a talk presented by the ANU College of Asia & the Pacific: ‘Democracy in Africa: Past, Present and Future’. African politics is often neglected as by students at university, and by high school curriculums, so the content matter of this lecture given by Ambassador Andebrhan Welde Giorgis will be unchartered and exciting territory for most of us.

Image: Canberra Times

As part of the very popular Versailles exhibition – currently in its final weeks on display at the NGA – is ‘Art for Lunch: Madame de Pompadour’. One of a series of talks and guides this month, Adriane Boag will speak about Louis XV’s mistress. Wrap your ears around that gossip from at 12:45pm on 13 April. It is a free event but make sure you reserve a spot!