Event Guide: 20 - 26 March

Hey everyone! Hope you’re not too bogged down with work because there’s heaps of stuff on in Canberra this week.

The Canberra Comedy Festival (20 – 26 March) showcases comedic talent from all around the world in 60 great shows throughout the week. Here is just a handful I would recommend:

The Girls Can’t Take a Joke Comedy Hour will see six comedy-newcomers and Canberra girl gang made up of Ellie Windred, Laura Campbell, Maddy Weeks, Codie Bell, Liv Sparrow and Charlie King perform a cracking split bill. Jen and Dan: Jokes to bang to, on for only one night, is Jen Carnovale & Daniel Muggleton’s Canberra Comedy Festival debut. ‘People-pleaser’ Cal Wilson, will say all the things she’s never said about feminism, politics and more in her new show Cal Wilson: Things I’ve never said. And finally, Canberra will get a taste of ‘Australia’s favourite home-grown stand-up comic’ in Dave Hughes: Deluded, Hughesy’s first full show at the Canberra Comedy Festival.

Image: Girls Can’t Take A Joke

Aside from hosting a week of comedy, Canberra is also about to host a week of Bonsais at the National Arboretum. From 20 – 26 March, there will be a daily Bonsai viewing from 9am – 4pm, Bonsai demonstrations at 10.30am and guided tours at 1pm. Presenting this week is Mr Tony Tickle, an award-winning Bonsai artist from the United Kingdom. This event could be a really fun and educational one to visit with friends or family, whether you’re a Bonsai professional, enthusiast or just plain curious.

The Alliance Francaise French Film Festival is playing One Man and His Cow, directed by Mohamed Hamidi, at Palace cinemas this Thursday 23 March. The film follows Fatah (Fatsah Bouyahmed) as he takes the love of his life, his prized cow Jacqueline, to compete in the Paris International Agricultural Show. The film paints a heart-warming portrait of a France that is caring and compassionate, while also delivering priceless comedic moments and hilarious misunderstandings.

The Museum of Australian Democracy at Old Parliament House is currently exhibiting Onetoeight: Australia’s First Prime Ministers. Canberra-based artist Alison Alder brings these important historical figures a little bit closer to us by reinterpreting portraits of the first eight Prime Ministers in a contemporary display. Head to 18 King George Terrace, Parkes, to find out something new about our country in a lively, dynamic way.

Image: Museum of Democracy Australia

This week I’m most excited for the Laneway Street Food Party hosted by Good Food Month on 24 March in Bible Lane. The lane-way celebration offers a selection of Australia’s most loved beer, complimented with delicious multicultural street food. Tickets are $50, but includes four cans of beer or cider as well as street food items, on a backdrop of musical entertainment and good vibes.

The party can be a good way to start your night if you want to hit Mr Wolf later at 11ish to see Swick – a Melbourne producer whose tight drums, energetic synths and catchy vocal chops has seen him gaining attention for his collaborative work with Diplo, Major Lazer, Tkay Maidza and more. Swick’s sound is said to draw inspiration from the euphoria of football stadiums, the stealth of internet hackers, fresh fruit, computer games, soda cans and worldwide styles to create his own special unique sound.