El Marks the Spot - Up and Coming

As everyone who went to ANUSA Band Night would be well aware, it is some people’s (most notably Leon Twardy’s) humble opinion that live music beats the f**k out of recorded music. Here at Woroni, we kind of agree and as a result, we’ve decided to put together a list of what we can look forward to in the coming weeks.

9th August – Alison Goes To Wonderland

Academy actually, but what is a bad pun between friends. Alison Wonderland is in fact the name of one of Australia’s most promising young DJs. She’ll be heading up and down the east coast of Australia in support of her new single and forthcoming album.

Wonderland started life as a cellist touring with the Sydney Youth Orchestra and experimenting with indie rock as a bassist. Certainly, the wide variety of influences certainly comes across in her work. Her brand new single, and first original, Get Ready (feat. Fishing) certainly demonstrates that, melding dubstep, orchestral and rap influences. The new single is the first release from her up-coming album, her second release with label EMI, and will no doubt feature at her tour. Hopefully, she also brings some of the material from her remix collection and the kind of spontaneous mixing that distinguishes the best DJs.

She’s known for high-energy, entertaining performances and no doubt all of us at A-cads will soon find out why. And everyone will be out after Law Ball anyway!

10th August – Fun Machine Shows Off Some Naked Bodies

Canberra sex-pop superstars Fun Machine return to our stages, heading to the Croatian Club for a fun, unpredictable and god-exactly-knows-what-will-happen kind of show. Stopping in Canberra, they will be bringing a mix of old and new material including a fresh single.

According to lead singer Chris Endry, Naked Body is about being comfortable in your own skin and certainly, the defiant edge to it comes through clearly. Putting together cowbell, percussive vocals and sampled and distorted Formula One engines, it’s slightly agro, feisty and just plain cool.

Their live shows are justly famous for their liveliness and utter absurdity – one week they’re in swimmers, next week they’re dressed as Bavarians. The point is, GO…because I can guarantee that whatever the heck they do, they won’t do it again… and it will be amazing.

14th August – Chloe and The Vienna Secession Front Up

I know, I’m sorry! I just couldn’t resist a title like that.

For a bit of a change of pace, why not try young Canberran Chloe Sinclair and her equally young band at the intimate Front Gallery and Cafe in Lyneham. Bringing classical vocals and a lovely simplicity to her music, Chloe released her first album, However Fleeting, last year. Given her age, it is an apt title – the vulnerability and childlike breathiness in her voice are unmistakable and will certainly not last.

It probably won’t get you on your feet but if you want a nice night with good music and good booze, you should probably head over.

There. Now there’s no excuse. Other than study.