Drill Hall Gallery - Transformation

abstract-1501710_1280

Many of you may have noticed the construction site nestled behind the CBE’s most convenient 45 minute parking. But what’s hidden behind the temporary fencing and tradie’s utes?

Originally built to train Australian soldiers during World War II, the Drill Hall Gallery was converted to an art gallery in 1984. Since then, and even more so after being taken over by the ANU in 1992, the Gallery has played host to a myriad of local, national, and international art works. It’s now received a $2m renovation and refurbishment, transforming the space into a dynamic venue which holds a wealth of history and experience within its newly refurbished walls.

On Friday July 15, curator Vivien Johnson opens The Drill Hall Gallery’s newly installed doors for the first display since 2015. The Streets of Pupunya exhibit will grace the Gallery’s walls with the history and beauty found in indigenous artworks, as a new generation of Pupunya artists continue the ancestral narrative of the Aboriginal culture from the western deserts.

To have a space like the DHG on campus is a privilege. A myriad of national and international artworks will be exhibited during the remainder of the year, designed in conjunction with various ANU academic focuses. Exposure to works of art – particularly those which tell a story unique to Australia and our experiences – is both a delight and a responsibility.

The Drill Hall Gallery is located between CBE and Toad Hall. The Streets of Pupunya exhibition runs from July 15 to August 14 between the hours of 10am to 5pm,Wednesday to Sunday. Don’t miss the beginning of what is sure to be another long chapter in the Drill Hall Gallery’s dynamic story.