Content Team is Hiring!

Woroni is looking for an Online Senior Content Sub-editor and a Content Sub-Editor to join the Semester One team. Previous experience with Woroni or another student publication is highly recommended but not compulsory.

The Online Senior Sub-Editor will:

• Oversee and edit the portfolio of Sub-Editors writing and sourcing online content. With pieces being published weekly, this role will be continuous, so an attentive attitude and flexibility with time frames is essential.
    • Oversee weekly pitches and direction for the online sub-editors.
    • Edit and write their own pieces.
    • Work with the Content Editor and Sub-Editors to quickly edit and publish timely content pieces from the broader ANU community (preparedness to edit at a moment’s notice is a must!)
  • Create a collaborative and empowering environment for the Online Team, encouraging and guiding contributors and Online Team to produce relevant and quality work.

They will need to be available for compulsory Weekly Team Meetings (held every Tuesday), and to attend any required training sessions. Senior Sub-Editors will be expected to spend about 10 hours per week editing articles, meeting/corresponding with the Content Editor and sourcing limited articles as-needed.

Senior Sub-Editor must generally edit between 10 and 20 articles per print cycle, to be published in print and online. They will not be required to source regular content for the magazine, but may be called upon to help source additional content for various sections if needed, and should be comfortable doing so.

You will need to have a clear understanding of spelling, grammar and structure in writing. Previous experience in publishing, editing or writing is an advantage, but by no means necessary. A copy of the Woroni Style Guide will be given to all Content Sub-Editors and will be readily available on the Woroni website for support. Good communication skills are also essential as fluid communication with contributors and other members of the Content team are expected. You will be required to brainstorm and develop articles with the Online Team, so creativity and a knack for ideas are a must.

Senior Sub-Editors can expect to receive an honorarium based on their commitment to the role at the end of Semester One.

Interdisciplinary portfolio Content Sub-Editor

The role of a Content Sub-Editor will be:

• To source, edit and copy-edit content for the magazine and online, as well as respond to relevant articles sent to write@woroni.com.au.
  • Oversee specific portfolio, which usually corresponds to a section of the magazine.
  • Act as an essential liaison between potential contributors and the Content Editor.
  • Work with the Content and Art Editors to decide on a defining vision for their portfolio – this applies to content and aesthetics.

Sub-Editors must be able to adhere to strict deadlines and to work as part of a large team, including other Content Sub-Editors, Senior Content Sub-Editors, General Columnists and the Content Editor. They will be expected to attend fortnightly meetings (on Tuesday) and a short training session at the beginning of the semester.

As an Interdisciplinary portfolio Sub-Editor you will source between three and eight pieces per print cycle, which will be published in print and/or online. Previous experience in publishing, editing or writing is an advantage, but by no means necessary. 

The Interdisciplinary portfolio will expand Woroni’s current content output to include more creative and multimedia pieces. The portfolio will feature work such as collages, photo essays, black out poetry, tattoo designs, or anything that is not a standard written article. There is incredible scope for creative freedom, and the Sub-Editor will be responsible for tapping into the creative life force of the student body.

Ideal candidates will be creative, visionary, and not afraid to go against the grain. They will be approachable, a team player, as well as a good planner. Good communication skills are also essential as fluid communication with contributors and other members of the content team are a must.

Please be aware that this is primarily a sourcing role, not a creation role. It is expected that you will reach out to members within the ANU community who are artists, photographers, or up and coming fashion designers etc. This position will suit students well versed in the ANU and Canberra art scene. 

Sub-Editors can expect to receive an honorarium based on their commitment to the role at the end of Semester.

Applications will have been extended until 6 PM Sunday 13 February 2021. 

Interviews will be conducted throughout O’Week.
Any questions please reach out to Karolina at woronicontenteditor@gmail.com

Woroni is committed to diversity in hiring. It is important that our team reflects the diversity of the ANU community so that we can better tell stories about everyone at the ANU. As such, Woroni welcomes applications from students that are from a range of diverse backgrounds and identities. If you identify with a diverse background, feel free to let us know in your application.

Apply below!