Wrap over jar

Being Clingy is Not Cool: Why Beeswax Wraps Win

If you tell an environment lover that you use beeswax food wraps instead of cling wrap, they will love you forever. Really.

What is this funny sounding alternative you ask?

Beeswax food wraps are made from 100 per cent cotton and coated with beeswax. Some brands even add in tree resin and organic jojoba oil. The beeswax wraps function like cling wrap, but with a difference: they bend using the warmth of your hands to make the wax mixture pliable. Then, you can simply press it onto half an avo (LOL jokes, we can’t afford them) or over the rim of your bowl of leftovers.

Here are some reasons why you should consider ditching cling wrap and getting yourself some groovy lookin’ beeswax food wraps:

They are better for the environment

Beeswax food wraps are reusable. Just hand wash them under some cool water and very mild soap, and lay out flat to air dry. They last for up to a year, as the protective wax coating will eventually wear away over time with constant use. After their time is up, you can bury them in your backyard where they will break down quickly, leaving no wasteful trace.

They are better for your health

Cling wrap contains many risks to your health. Higher temperatures cause it to be harmful when it comes into direct contact with your food, according to experts at John Hopkins University. Cling wrap can also contain hormone-disrupting phthalates, a chemical that is used to keep plastic soft. If you don’t have any beeswax wraps, just cover your bowl with a plate or paper towel, and then heat up your food.  

As much as I love these beeswax wraps, there are still some things to be aware of.  For food safety reasons, the wraps cannot be used to wrap raw meat. But, hey, maybe that’s an excuse to reduce our meat intake (another story for another time). Some warn that you may not achieve a complete seal with the wraps as they’re not quite as pliable as cling wrap.  I don’t find this problematic as I have not noticed my food being affected when using the wraps compared to cling wrap.

Several online stores stock these affordable food wraps such as Regal Wraps, Bee Wrappy, and Biome, BeeKeepa. I have some Regal Wraps and not only are they stocked in cute patterns, but they also smell lovely too! They range from three to eight dollars each depending on the size you want. For those who are keen and want to save some money, making your own is also definitely possible.

Getting rid of single-use plastics has never been easier!