Last semester, ANU introduced the opt-in CRS (Course Requirements Satisfied) / CRN (Course Requirements Not Satisfied) system. The University has recently made the decision to continue to offer the opt-in CRS/ CRN system, due to continued hardships faced by students. 

CRS can be used in place of a passing grade – either a Pass, Credit, Distinction or High Distinction; whereas CRN is used instead of a fail grade – either a fail or not completed. Additionally, a CRN grade does not count as a fail in regards to expected academic performance. Furthermore, CRS and CRN grades do not count to a student’s GPA and are generally encouraged if the student’s GPA would otherwise drop. 

The University, however, acknowledges that the CRS/CRN system may not be advisable to all students, particularly those intending to pursue “postgraduate study pathways or … certain overseas tertiary institutions.” An ANU Spokesperson suggests that “students should seek discipline specific advice, tailored to their personal circumstances from their academic colleges.”   

According to the ANU Spokesperson, there will be no limit to the number of courses that a student can opt into the CRS/ CRN grading system for semester 2. Both standard session courses and non-standard session courses are eligible for the opt-in grading system, but academic colleges may provide exceptions for certain courses. 

However, some specific courses are excluded from the new grading system due to practical and academic reasons. It is not yet clear which courses this applies to. 

Woroni has reached out to ANUSA for comment.