An ANU spokesperson has confirmed that international students remain unable to return to Australia due to  ongoing COVID-19 related border restrictions implemented by the Australian Government. International students must continue to study remotely. In response to this, the ANU has implemented a hybrid teaching model which offers classes both in person and remotely. This will remain in place in Semester Two 2021 to accommodate students unable to return to campus this year.

The spokesperson highlighted that the ANU has provided “a range of academic, social and pastoral support for all our international students,” and the establishment of the Shanghai Study Hub for students in China, which remains a central system of support for those studying remotely. The spokesperson stated that the ANU is “keen for our international students to return to Australia and our campus as soon as it is safe for them to do so.”

They said that “We [the ANU] look forward to working with the Federal and ACT governments to bring students back to Canberra and make our community whole as soon as possible.”