The College of Law has confirmed that if students choose to opt into the Course Requirements Satisfied (CRS) or Course Requirements Not Satisfied (CRN) grading options for their 2021 law courses, the underlying raw scores will still count to their Honours calculations. 

During 2020, the College of Law had excluded CRS/ CRN grades from Honours calculations. However, it is important to note that this new policy of including grades from CRS/ CRN subjects for Honours calculations will not apply retrospectively: students who opted into CRS/ CRN during 2020 will not have those grades counted in their Honours calculations. 

Speaking to Woroni, the College of Law noted that the change in policy was because “grading rules have adapted to the changing nature of the global pandemic and are designed to offer support to students facing unforeseen circumstances”. The ANUSA College of Law Representatives Lily Henke and Isabel Marsh told Woroni that they understood “the reasoning for this change is to align with University-wide policy”. 

Importantly, CRS/ CRN grades may still be excluded from a student’s Honours simply because they are “discounted” – if a student studies more than 16 law courses at ANU, their Honours calculation will exclude the lowest grades of the extra courses. For example, if a student studies 19 courses at the ANU law school, they should discount the lowest three grades from their honours calculation. The College of Law’s Honours calculation policy is explained here

ANUSA Vice President Christian Flynn made a Facebook post explaining the rule change, which noted that the new policy “might be distressing or concerning or concerning for [student’s] personal circumstances”. Christian recommended that students should first visit https://law.anu.edu.au/student-administration-services to set up a meeting with a College of Law advisor, who can explain the implications for any student’s particular degree path, or to contact him at sa.vicepres@anu.edu.au if students had trouble or particularly confusing circumstances.