This year’s IAC Poetry Slam has taken place online in an effort to keep up the ANU’s collegiate spirit thriving in the midst of isolation. Entries were submitted on the 25th of March for judging by panellists Yvonne Gluyas, Laurie May and Allan Boyd. The results were released on Thursday with John XXII College taking first place, followed by Wright Hall and UniLodge respectively.

Having originally been scheduled for Semester 2, the poetry slam and creative writing competitions have been brought forward and held online as substitutes for cancelled Semester 1 events such as Big Night Out and Dance Night in an effort to keep the student community active in a period where regular campus life has been brought to a standstill. 

The IAC calendar is a staple program in the fostering of the ANU’s campus community which encourages students from all colleges to share their creativity in ways that their university studies may not accomodate. Edward Cahill, the Wright Hall Arts Representative, expressed that “being able to run poetry slam online was fantastic, residents were still able to embrace their creative spirit and represent their colleges from isolation, and especially for those who aren’t as artsy, seeing the achievements of your fellow residents and tracking how your college is performing is a really valuable and empowering feeling that we’re extremely fortunate to [preserve] during this time.”