Current ANUSA Vice-President, Christian Flynn has announced the launch of an unnamed ticket, the first launched ticket for the upcoming ANUSA election.
Flynn’s ticket is a non-partisan and independent ticket centred around ‘shared progressive, left-wing values,’ and looks forward to developing ‘sophisticated and consultative policy that lays the groundwork for developing ANUSA as an activist student union while setting out financially and environmentally sustainable plans for the Association’s future.’ NUS Delegates on the ticket will sit independently, or with a faction that does not bind their votes. Flynns states that “as an independent and non-partisan ticket, we aren’t interested in what party you are a member of or how you will improve the fortunes of a political faction. Instead, we are interested in what you can do to help students.”
The ticket’s current named executive candidates are:
- Christian Flynn (he/him), who is running for the position of President and Undergraduate Member on ANU council. Christian is the current ANUSA Vice-President, and was previously President of Wamburun Hall, and the Chair of the Interhall Council.
- Chido Nyakuengama (she/her) who is running for Vice-President, who is the current ANUSA Bla(c)k, Indigenous and People of Colour (BIPOC) officer.
- Jaya Ryan (he/him) is running for Treasurer. He is currently a General Representative on ANUSA, and a member of the Ethical Sponsorships Committee.
- Ben Yates (he/him) is running as a candidate for General Secretary, and currently serves as the General-Secretary of the ANU Environment Collective, ANUSA Deputy Education Officer, and a Senior Resident at Wright Hall. Previously, he was a General Representative on ANUSA throughout the 2020 assembly.
- Grace King (she/her) is running as a candidate for the Welfare Officer position, and is currently an ANUSA Deputy Education Officer, Vice-President of Wamburun Hall, and an ANUSA General Representative.
- Beatrice Tucker (they/them) is running as a candidate for the Education Officer position. They were the 2020-2021 co-convenor of the ACT branch of the Australian Student Environment Network (ASEN) as well as an active member of the National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU).
The ticket is currently still searching for more students who are interested in running as candidates interested in running as either Clubs Officer, a General Representative, NUS delegate or a College Representative. Students who are interested in running are encouraged to fill out the ANUSA expression of interest form. Alternatively, official nominations open on the 2nd of August.
UPDATE: ANUSA Probity Officers have announced that Christian Flynn’s unnamed ticket may have violated section 3.1.12 of the ANUSA Constitution. You can view the update here.