After weeks of ticket launches and campaigns and a disastrous technological failure on the first day of voting, the results for the 2020 elections have been announced. Elected in the first round, Madhu Janagaraja is the 2021 ANUSA President.  

Madhu Janagaraja ran on ‘Brighter Together ANUSA’ and triumphed over Skanda Panditharatne, Brad Saines, Ben Wicks, and James Eveille in the most crowded Presidential contest in recent years.  

‘Brighter Together’ also swept a majority of the executive positions. In one of the most contested elections in recent history, students voted for Christian Flynn for Vice-President, Siang Jin Law as Treasurer, and Meghan Malone as General Secretary. For the second year in a row, Sophie Jagger has won the position of Social Officer, running independently.

The contest for Education Officer proved to be perhaps the most competitive and controversial position, especially considering the recent debate about the role of the position and the recent Federal budget cuts. Maddie Chia (‘Proud! of our ANUSA’) ultimately won out against the other four candidates.

Following this competitive pattern, the contest for General Representative positions was heated. From the ‘Proud! Of our ANUSA’ ticket, Cat Yeong, Noa Amiry, Isha Singha, Coby Howell, and Grace King have been elected. From ‘Brighter Together ANUSA’ Max Cleversley, Avan Daruwalla, Claire Noak, Rania Teguh, Niam Foxcroft, and Phoenix O’Neill have been elected. Marlow Meares  ‘(Refocus Your ANUSA’), Jaya Ryan (‘Go the Distance with ANUSA’), and Max Evans  (‘You! For ANUSA’) have also been elected. 

While some of the College Representatives for 2021 were elected unopposed, the remaining positions were crowded. Aryanne Caminschi (‘Brighter Together ANUSA’) and Yasmin Kirk (‘Proud! of our ANUSA’) have been elected as the College of Arts and Social Sciences Representatives, Lilly Henke (‘Brighter Together ANUSA’) and Isabel Marsh (‘Go the Distance with ANUSA’) as the College of Law Representatives, and Jayden Pham ‘(Brighter Together ANUSA’) and Riley Smithers (‘Proud! Of Our ANUSA’) as the College of Business and Economic Representatives.   

The five students to represent ANU at the National Union of Students are Zoe Ranganathan (‘Spice Up! Diversify Your NUS’), Christian Flynn, Luca Corby (‘Clean it Up – Luca Corby For Environment Officer’), Madhu Janagaraja, and Sophie Macdonald (‘Refocus Your ANUSA’). 

Madhu Janagaraja has also been elected as the Undergraduate Council Member, continuing a trend of Presidents holding this position, despite a number of independent candidates contesting the position this year. All Department Officers were elected unopposed and have already been announced. 

Think your name would look good in print? Woroni is always open for submissions. Email write@woroni.com.au with a pitch or draft. You can find more info on submitting here.