After weeks of online campaigning, results for the 2022 ANUSA election and Fossil Fuel Referendum are in! 1,954 students voted this week to elect next year’s Student Representative Council and NUS delegates, choosing between 98 candidates. Here’s a breakdown of the results. 

ANU students voted to pass the divestment referendum. Students overwhelmingly voted yes (1,316 out of a total 1,473 votes) to the question: Should the ANU withdraw all current investments in the fossil fuel industry and commit to make no further investments in the fossil fuel industry? This comes after harsh criticisms of the University’ reinvestments into the industry earlier this year. The referendum was initiated by the Environment Collective at OGM 3.

Christian Flynn has been elected as the new President, beating out Blake Iafeta. Flynn has also been elected to the University Council as Undergraduate Member.

Flynn’s Grassroots ticket swept the rest of the executive positions too. Students elected Chido Nyakuengama as Vice President, Jaya Ryan as Treasurer, Phoenix O’Neill as the inaugural Clubs Officer, Ben Yates as General Secretary, Beatrice as Education Officer and Grace King as the first Welfare Officer.

The results for the College Representative races were more mixed. Nathanael Kwon (Grassroots) and Nikhil Clementi (Get Sh!t Done) were elected as CAP Representatives, Isha Singhal and Rania Teguh (both Grassroot) as CBE Representatives, Neha Kalele and Katie Byrnes (both Grassroots) as CoL representatives, Oliver Hervir (Independent) and Shriya Bellamkonda-Vaka (Grassroots) as JCOS Representatives.

As reported earlier in the week, CASS Representative was elected unopposed, with Phillip Kim (Back on Track) taking one of the two positions. Likewise, the CECS Representatives were filled without competition, going to Phoebe Denman (Grassroots) and Kayla (Xinyi) Li (Independent). 

The race for General Representative was fierce, with over thirty candidates running. Fourteen representatives have been elected across a number of tickets. This includes two independents, Michael Matheson-Deng and Blake Iafeta (Do Better! With Blake Iafeta); seven from Grassroots: Luca Corby, Ben Harms, Katrina Ha, Luke Harrison, Oscar Pearce, Kai Dreyfus-Ballesi and Paria Najafzadeh; three from Get Sh!t Done, Azraa Hussain, Yuxin (Hebe) Ren, and Samantha Shaw; and finally two from Back on Track, Samuel Macrae and Ben Naiju.

Five NUS delegates from multiple tickets were also elected. This includes Blake Iafeta (Do Better!), then Luca Corby, Phoenix O’Neill, and Christian Flynn from Grassroots, and Sinead Winn from Get Sh!t Done. Christian Flynn and Luca Corby both represented ANU at the NUS National Conference last year. 

The three contested Department Officer positions were all elected unopposed. Environmental Officer went to Elise Chua (Grassroots), Queer* Officer to Vincent Lee (Independent), and Disabilities Officer to Thomas O’Donnell (Independent).