Woroni Sem 1, 2022 - Editor Candidate Profiles

News Editor:

Juliette Baxter

In the past two years, student media has proven more important than ever in delivering balanced and up-to-date information to students. Importantly, Woroni provides a platform for ANU’s students to share their stories and hold their university accountable.

I first joined the News Team as a News Reporter in 2020 and have been a Senior News Reporter for the past year. I have cherished the opportunity to develop my journalistic skills. As a News Reporter, I have worked hard to write extensive investigative pieces and to collaboratively release breaking news. In my role as Senior News Reporter, I have assisted the News Editor in editing articles, generating story ideas, and supporting reporters. Outside of Woroni, I previously served as Bossy’s Design Editor and Content Sub-Editor, where I developed strong leadership and editing skills. I would be excited to bring these skills to direct the diverse and talented team of News Reporters in publishing accurate and in-depth news in 2022, offering encouragement and feedback.

I hope to continue to expand the diversity of stories in Woroni to reflect the breadth of ANU student experiences. Additionally, I aim to grow Woroni’s broader coverage of Canberra news and arts and cultural events.

Content Editor:

Karolina Kocimska 

I joined Woroni in 2019, running an indie music radio show (there may have been a weekly Skegss segment). This past semester I’ve been working with the fantastic content team as a Sub-Editor and have absolutely loved bringing the magazine to life. I have many new ideas that I want to introduce to the content portfolio, some that I’ve already implemented as Sub-Editor (adding a ‘Word on the Street’ segment). The magazine – print and online – is an incredible record of our student voice and it’s my goal to continue and enhance the current trajectory of Woroni, memorialising and sharing a diverse range of stories, ideas, and people. Being vulnerable on the internet is what I’m best at, and I want to empower the student body to share their unique perspectives and connect with our community.
I’ve had student leadership experience outside Woroni, such as Social Officer for ANU Snowsports and Arts Rep at Wamburun, which has allowed me to develop the skills needed for the role of Content Editor, such as planning for strategic direction, teamwork, and most importantly, making things happen™. I have the skills, knowledge, (oversharing tendencies) and a whole lot of passion to make the content portfolio exceptional. 

Carys Fisser

I am interested in running for the position of Content Editor as I would love to experience a different part of Woroni, and also help amplify student voices through our magazine. After spending almost three semesters in TV, I’ve worked on writing and editing multiple pieces, including popular videos such as the Covid Restrictions and Pastoral Care piece, and our current docuseries A Broken System. As a part of these projects I have gained crucial skills in team building, time management, and communication, all of which I believe equip me well for the role. I would love to be given the opportunity to further contribute improving Woroni’s perception as a trusted source of information and entertainment for students, and I think that joining the board and becoming a content editor would be the perfect way to do so.  

Rose Dixon-Campbell

I’m interested in this position because Woroni has deeply fulfilled me since I started doing work for the magazine. When I applied for my original sub-editor position I did so on a whim, thinking there was no way I, someone with no writing experience beyond high school and university essays, could get the job.

To my delight, I did get the job. I jumped right in to writing, interviewing, reviewing, sourcing and editing and haven’t looked back since. Working for Woroni has entirely changed the trajectory of my life. Never before had I considered a career in media and journalism, and now that is exactly what I am working towards.

I am the best candidate for the position of Content Editor because I am dedicated to serving the personnel of Woroni and passionate about the content we produce. I understand what Woroni means to the ANU community and to sub-editors, columnists and contributors – it is not just something to put on your CV; Woroni is a community and a platform where people can see the work they do honoured. If you get me going, I’ll never stop talking about the plans and goals I have for this position but for now, thank you for taking the time to read this.

Aleyn Silva

I have been closely involved in Woroni throughout my university career, first as a News Reporter, then having a Radio show, and now, as Senior Sub-Editor of Content. I bring with me a deep passion and relevant experience in Print and Publication. From working on my Res Hall’s Yearbook, Interview Sub-Editor at Bossy, to Content-Coordinator at Sweet and Sour – my roles in varied publications have instilled in me essential skills and expertise to succeed in print media.

Through my lived experience, I have learned to navigate print media through a nuanced lens. I am committed to advocating for the greater representation of diverse voices within Woroni. I will implement changes the Content Community has asked for, from writing workshops, streamlining posting timelines, and more advertising to source contributors. COVID-19 has also shown me the necessity of increasing Woroni’s accessibility through a better online presence and more virtual activities. I aim to create an encouraging atmosphere, growing connections within my team, contributors and the ANU community. 

I am highly motivated, values-driven and bring unbeatable experience with me. As your future Content Editor, I am committed to supporting your creativity and ensuring that Woroni continues to excel in the print media landscape. 

TV Editor

Clara Ho

Hello, I’m Clara, and I would like to nominate myself for the position of TV Editor. I have been at Woroni since 2020 and I have loved every minute of it. I started out as a camera operator, and have since been a producer and executive producer. With my experience, I believe that I can lead the TV team creatively and efficiently, to produce more engaging content for the wider ANU community. My passion for Woroni has no bounds. I want to share my vision for Woroni TV with the ANU student body, to create content that will touch hearts and minds, that will challenge viewers, and bring joy and laughter. As a leader, I believe I have what it takes to truly cultivate and motivate a team of passionate and aspiring creators to strive for greatness. To be your 2022 TV Editor would be the greatest honour.

Managing Editor

Ben Rowley

I am the current 2021 Managing Editor for Woroni. This last year has been one of the most challenging for our student organisations, Woroni is no different. With The ACT’s longest lockdown, uncertainty about opening up and what 2022 will bring my direct experience as a member of the board will be invaluable to the incoming 2022 board. The Managing Editor role centres on both the strong financial management of  Woroni and higher-level planning meaning a steep learning curve when entering the role. Over the past year, I  have begun many initiatives with Woroni which I have not been able to follow through. These include expanding Woroni’s responsible financial management and governance while also vision planning for a stable future. After twelve months in the role, I am familiar with Woroni’s processes and if re-elected I will be able to continue these into 2022 without hesitation. I hope for these projects to last much longer than my tenure and into the future, leading to a stronger and more capable Woroni for members of our university community.