The Comeback Kids

How bloody good is a comeback? It’s the pinnacle of sport and always makes the experience that much better, to not only play, but to watch. In the last week, I have watched two pretty incredible comebacks. Firstly the Hawks getting up over the Cats to win their semi-final to progress into the AFL Grand Final, and Oracle Team USA coming back from 8-1 down in the America’s Cup to win, beating Emirates Team New Zealand by only 44 seconds in the final match race.

I’m not going to broach the subject of the AFL, because frankly Charlie Austin can cover it in more depth and knowledge and I grew up in Sydney playing rugby, only “attempting” footy at college.

As I said in my last piece, there are a fair few Aussies in the America’s Cup this year, and one of them, James Spithill captained the US boat to what many are calling one of the greatest comebacks in sporting history. Spithill was supported by Australians Tom Slingsby, Joey Newton and Kyle Langford, all aboard a crew who completed what many saw as impossible. Coming back from 8-1 down, to win the last 9 races was an incredible effort by the Aussie-led, American boat. A week ago Spithill was quoted as saying “We can do this,” and boy did he prove it.

The final race was no walk over though for Oracle Team USA. The Kiwis took control of the race early, leading by mere seconds at the first and second gates. The American’s defence of the Cup seemed over when, on a tack, they nose-dived, but they were able to recover and re-join the race. Oracle Team USA then took the lead in a smooth move over the flat water in winds up to 20 knots an hour. The lead then changed hands as the two battled for the title before Oracle Team USA crossed ahead of the New Zealand boat three times in quick succession to hold on to the lead and retain the Cup.

It’s incredible the depth of sporting talent we have for such a small nation and didn’t we showcase it in a big way. Moral of the story is, I love a good comeback and these two are prime examples of why I love sport so much.

In other news, the Aussies won the one-day series against England a few weekends ago.

Congratulations boys! Now onto the home Ashes series! Also, Jake White has left the Brumbies as coach with two years to go on his contract. Stephen Larkham or Laurie Fisher is expected to take over.

Furthermore, if you’re in Sydney on Sunday the 6th of October come on down to Bondi Beach around 4pm to greet us 70 runners participating in the Civic2Surf. It is a wonderful cause, and if you’d like to donate, check out the Facebook page!