ANU Indigenous Heritage Trail plaque

Sustainable Campus Bulletin

Local

ANU launches new Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Heritage walking trail. Members of the Ngambri, Ngunnawal, Ngunawal and Ngarigu groups created the trail, with the help of ANU. The walk is a self-guided trail with 15 different stops covering themes such as cultural practices and the traditional use of natural resources in the local area (for instance, Sullivan’s Creek and Black Mountain). The trail is accessible on the ANU Walk app. It also includes content on student involvement and activism for reconciliation. You can pick up flyers at Chifley and Menzies Library.

National

National Energy reform

The Finkel Review, released last month, is a scientific and policy report on the Australian National Energy Market outlining the future reforms needed to reduce cost and emission aspects of energy use. The report found that fossil fuels generate a massive 87 per cent of our electricity.The way forward? By recommendation, State and Federal governments should agree upon a Clean Energy Target in the next six months – ideally with a 25-28 per cent reduction on 2005 levels by 2030. Why? It would allow Australia to set targets that correspond with our obligations under the Paris Agreement. However, there is talk that state governments will have to start the push for energy reform in light of the current position of the Federal government.

Did you Know

ANU has a draft Environmental Management Plan prepared by ANU Green that outlines targets for sectors such as culture, buildings, energy, water, waste, pollution, transport, landscapes and heritage. Universities, such as ANU, have huge environmental impacts. For example, ANU is one of the largest energy users in the ACT, generating 100,000 tonnes of greenhouse gases a year. This is why this document is important: it sets goals, outlines information and provides action plans that can help guide the university towards individual and institutional sustainability.

Action plan  

HDs for sustainability:

ANU Green has a free app available on the AppStore for you to measure your sustainability street cred. Residents of ANU colleges: you can enter in data to help you understand your impacts or savings! The app will calculate your monthly energy and water usage, and give you a rating in the form of university grades. Who knows, maybe this is the way to get consistent HDs.

Tips

Coffee savings

Bring your own mug to CBE café and get a discount on your caffeine. Paper coffee cups are coated with a plastic resin called polyethene and are not recyclable, often end up in the landfill . If you get coffee a day, you just saved $3.50 i.e. another cup of coffee.

Events

Bush Week 2017

Check out Market Day on the 26th and join some of our environmental groups on campus, whether it be the Environment Collective (EC), the Fenner School Society, Fossil Free ANU and much more. The EC will be holding a fire pit event at the Forestry School later in the day.