Sully: A Review

v1-btsxmja5mzq4nttqoze3mta0ozeymda7mjc2nds0mdk2

In 2009, US Airways Flight 1549 was forced to land on the Hudson River after both of its engines were disabled – thanks to the heroics of Captain Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger (Tom Hanks), all of the passengers and crew survived. ‘Sully’ fascinatingly encapsulates the story surrounding Sullenberger, and the events that occurred after the forced landing. Directed by Clint Eastwood, Sully is cinematographically spectacular. It is an immersive experience that combines outstanding special effects with real footage of the incident and the media coverage that followed. The film is most gripping because the events of the flight are provided from various perspectives –  it does not disappoint. But the real story is about the aftermath of the event – particularly in the details of the investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board. This series of events is one of the most emotionally tense, especially during the examinations, of the simulations that are tested and subsequently challenged by Sullenberger. However, if you had no interest in the real story when it played out in 2009, you may not find it as enjoyable. This is perhaps the only issue I had with the film.

Overall, Sully is a fantastic story about real heroism, and the people who did together to pull off a miracle.

4stars