Statement on Black Lives Matter

Content Warning: Racism, white supremacy, death, murder, police brutality

Statement on Black Lives Matter

The Black Lives Matter movement was founded in 2013 in response to the reprehensible lack of action taken by legal institutions and officers in the United States when Black people are being systematically murdered by law enforcement. On the 25th of May, George Floyd was murdered by a member of the Minnesota police force, sparking a revitalised Black Lives Matter movement across the globe. In the wake of this, Woroni makes the following commitments.

We stand with and wholeheartedly support the Black Lives Matter movement and the protests occurring in the United States.

We support efforts by Australian organisations in combating white supremacy and racism in Australia, particularly seen against Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

We are committed to promoting anti-racist views, and we welcome students to contribute content about Black Lives Matter and related issues to do with race. We will not publish content that promotes prejudice or disrespect on the basis of race. 

We stand in solidarity with those who have been systematically oppressed and commit to raising the voices of those whom have not been heard.

Signed,

The 2020 Semester 1 Board of Editors

Black Lives Matter: Resource List

Woroni has curated this resource list to help you do the work and support the protests in the United States in the wake of George Floyd’s murder, as well as helping to combat white supremacy in Australia. This list is not exhaustive and we will continue to add to it as we find more resources that can help with the situation abroad and at home. We also acknowledge the huge amount of information on the internet and across social media created by people involved in the protests and who face systematic racism everyday.  If you would like to provide resources to add to this list, please email grace@woroni.com.au

“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor” 

– Desmond Tutu

PROTESTS

Thanks to Ono Chowdhury for compiling this list and sharing it with Woroni:

Canberra – 5th June @ Garema Place

Melbourne – 6th of June @ Parliament House steps

Sydney- 6th of June @ 20 Lee Street 

Brisbane – 6th of June @ King George Square

PETITIONS

US Zip Codes to use when signing:

90210 – Beverly Hills, California

90015 – Los Angeles, California

10001 – New York City, New York

75001 – Dallas, Texas

Justice for George Floyd

Stand with Breonna Taylor 

Justice for Ahmaud Arbery

Resource and petition list by @ambivaIcnt 

DONATE

United States

The Minnesota Freedom Fund helps post bail for those who are arrested while protesting George Floyd’s murder. *currently overwhelmed with donations

The Bail Project

National Bail Fund Network

Official George Floyd Memorial Fund 

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) fights to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of Black people in America.  

Australia

Justice for David Dungay Junior, an Aboriginal Australian man who died in custody, where the Corrective Services officers were found to be not responsible for his death despite video evidence.

Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) push for legal reform of laws that harm Aboriginal communities and provide legal advice and representation for Aboriginal people in contact with police or the courts.

Gunawirra is supporting Indigenous mothers and children in breaking the cycle of family violence and abuse by helping them heal from trauma through culture.

The Healing Foundation works with Indigenous communities to heal trauma from the stolen generations.

The Indigenous Literacy Fund promotes Indigenous literacy by providing books in English and their community’s language. 

Yalari provides indigenous children from regional, rural and remote communities with full scholarships to attend boarding schools to undertake their secondary education.

INFORMATION/ RESOURCES:

The Events in the US

Information on First Nations Incarceration

CW: Indigenous deaths in custody (linked by Ono Chowdhury)

Helpful Instagram Posts

Instagram Accounts to Follow

Please do not message these accounts expecting them to give you personalised information, absolve guilt or validate your feelings. Do your own research and stay out of their DMs!

International

Indigenous Australian

MEDIA

Podcasts

• Bobo and Flex
  • Always Was, Always Will Be Our Stories
  • “Billy Porter” Episode by I Weigh with Jameela Jamil
  • “Let’s Talk About Something Uncomfortable… Race” Episode by After Work Drinks
  • For more podcasts by people of colour recommendations please go here

Books

• How to be an Anti-Racist by Ibram X. Kendi
  • So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
  • Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad
  • Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches by Audre Lorde
  • Why I Am No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge
  • White Fragility by Robin Diangelo
  • The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
  • Ayiti by Roxane Gay

TV and Film

• 13th by Ava Duvernay
  • American Son by Kenny Leon
  • Dear White People by Justin Simien 
  • See You Yesterday by Stefan Bristol
  • When They See Us by Ava Durvernay
  • ‘Lady Justice’ Australian Story Episode
  • Get Out by Jordan Peele
  • Moonlight by Barry Jenkins

Music

Lemonade by Beyoncé 

Dirty Computer by Janelle Monae

Cuz I Love You by Lizzo 

Better in Blak by Thelma Plum

Youtube Videos

COUNSELLING SERVICES

Lifeline: 131 114

Beyond Blue: 130 022 4636

Kids Helpline (for those under 25): 180 055 1800