Review: The Girl on the Train

8n95_tp_00009r_0-1

The Girl on the Train is an enjoyable psychological thriller. This is mostly due to the talents and presence of Emily Blunt, whose performance holds the film together, despite the somewhat limiting writing and disappointing direction. The narrative’s essence, however, still manages to impress by creating a genuine sense of mystery and intrigue – though some fans of the novel may be disappointed with the changes made to Paula Hawkin’s bestseller in the transition from page to screen.

The story follows Rachel (Blunt), who is reeling from the breakdown of her marriage to Tom (Justin Theroux) after he left her for another woman. Rachel adheres to a routine of taking the train to London every day, and while trying to avoid seeing her ex-husband and his new partner, fixates on a neighbouring house with a seemingly blissful life. From this point the film unravels itself, as a theme of the unknown and a feeling of edge penetrate the film’s plot, adding mystery and tension. Both the pristine cinematography and the emotive score keep things interesting on a sensory level, while the still and bleak colour palette generates a feeling of suspense. If you enjoy a ‘what’s next?’ story, and can appreciate a film for the visuals and score, then The Girl on the Train is worth a watch.

4stars