Review: Safia at UC Refectory

Pictured: Safia performing at UC Refectory, Friday September 23. Photo by: LozdogPhotog

The boys from Safia damn near gave me a heart attack on the 23rd of September. The trio were fired up for the first live performance of their new album Internal, and started off their Aussie tour in style at the University of Canberra Refectory.

Along with some absolute chunes from Internal, they also revamped some old faves. The crowd collectively lost it at classic tracks like You Are The One and Counting Sheep, which were obvious standouts, but it was the new tracks from Internal that were the absolute highlights. Internal is an intricately woven sound-blast of 90s pop nostalgia and something essentially Safia, and the insane delight the band had in performing it was obvious.

During the concert, the lads showed exactly what they had learnt from the festival circuit – they delivered a storm of energy which the crowd returned. This was paired with a visual and lights show specifically designed for each song, which totally enveloped in audience in Safia’s world.

This writer also has to give a massive shout out to the security and team at UC who had to deal with low-key shenanigans throughout the night. Other standouts included opening act Running Touch, a Melbourne musician with serious and varied musical skill, as well as killer stage presence. For Safia’s Internal tour make sure to arrive early and beg for the encore.