Review: Fashion & Food at Your Fingertips

For all those foodies and fashionistas out there and for those who are both – here’s the perfect event for you. This is an event that’s an opportunity to Hustle up a new outfit at adorable fashion stalls and Scout out some divine food while listening to live music. And the best part? Entry is free! Where and what might this miracle of a market be? Why, at Hustle & Scout of course.
Bad puns aside, it really is worth visiting.While the Autumn Market has been and gone, do not despair as the markets are usually seasonal.

Before you rush off to the markets be aware that the time of day that you choose to go will greatly affect what you get out of it. While it’s advertised as a twilight festival, it usually starts at 2pm and ends around 9pm, allowing for two very different atmospheres. The early stages of the festival create a warm, inviting, family friendly folk festival vibe, with cute little bakery stalls, colourful vintage décor and an adorable little chill-out area in front of the stage where indie bands provide sweet tunes for browsing the racks. However, as the sun goes down the atmosphere adapts, with the ambience taking on that of a funky fashion festival vibe with professional models strutting their stuff and a DJ pumping out beats.

In terms of fashion it’s safe to say that there’s something for everyone. From pre-loved vintage clothing to the latest boutique trend; there are numerous stalls for jewellery, hats, clothes and even a cobbler. And for those of us on a uni-student budget, don’t despair. Whilst many of the boutique stalls do have boutique prices there are also many stalls that are very affordable.

If you’re more into making then you are buying, The Makers Collective offers groovy little workshops from silver smithing to crocheting; they’ll show you how it’s done with their friendly staff and classes ranging around the reasonable price of $30. I was fortunate enough to participate in their “Terrarium Pendant Class” and found it a true highlight of my time at the markets. Not only did I learn a new skill while having a lot of fun, I also got to take home an awesome necklace (if I do say so myself). For those who know some creative kids or adults, who may not quite be up to that level of crafting, there are other stalls that offer simpler projects that produces equally trendy results.

On top of everything else the markets offer, The Forage offers a safe haven for those who find that fashion just ain’t their thing or those that find good food irresistible – or both!. There’s a huge range of foods catering for all dietary requirements, from delicate baked goods for those with a sweet tooth, wraps, pizzas, meatballs and burritos for those with a bit more of an appetite, as well as fresh juices. For all the meat lovers out there Hard-core Carnivore offers a pulled pork roll that is to die for. BentSpoke also makes an appearance for the brewers and the beer enthusiasts amongst the crowd.

Whether you are driven by music, fashion, food or family, the Hustle & Scout Market has something for everyone, so keep an eye out for the Fox and the Stag and next time they come to town. Grab some friends together and enjoy an afternoon of shopping and eating. After all, does life get any better than that?

Interested in going? The markets are located at Hangar #47, 8 Point Cook Avenue in Fairbairn, which is great if you also happen to have an affinity for planes. Parking is free, but extraordinarily difficult to get, so if you can carpool it’s a great idea. ATM’s can be found on site but once again they are very busy so you’re better off taking cash out before you go.