Review: Alpine @ ANU Bar

Melbourne band Alpine played ANU Bar last Wednesday night, and despite the freezing conditions, it was great to see so many people out bopping along to the band’s latest album release, Yuck!

What I love about seeing Alpine play live, other than their ridiculously fun indie-pop sound that features a tight-as rhythm section mashing together guitars, rhythms and synths, are Lou and Phoebe, the bands lead vocals. Actually, more specifically, my favourite thing about the band is Lou and Phoebe’s unstoppable and unashamed dance moves. Whilst singing lyrics that are often deep and introspective, the pair bounded across the stage making shapes, unembarrassed and carefree about flaunting their bodies as they felt the music. It was truly liberating, and I found myself encouraged to dance with a greater and wilder abandon than ever before.

The vibe in ANU Bar was different to when I previously saw Alpine perform on an open-air stage by Lake Burley Griffin during Enlighten Festival earlier this year, however on both occasions the band emanated a sublime confidence into the audience that reassured them that you are permitted to dance as wild and as crazy as you can when you’re moved by the music. It was refreshing to see so many people really connecting with the band’s creative intent – I’m sick of going to gigs where people stand unwaveringly still in the mosh!

There’ll be more opportunities to dance unapologetically at ANU Bar over the coming months:

DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE // July 30
MIAMI HORROR // Aug 13
THE PREATURES // Aug 27
SAFIA // Sep 12
THE JUNGLE GIANTS // Sep 25
THE RUBENS // Oct 2