Lily Dolls up at The Basement: Musings about the Sisters Doll Experience

Untitled

A new glam rock band is likely unheard of in 2014. Glam rock and glam metal have developed as genres in the 1970s and 1980s. While these genres however have had a huge influence on contemporary music, they rapidly lost mainstream interest from 1992 to 1994 with the rise of Grunge. We have enjoyed something of a revival with bands such as The Darkness and Steel Panther – but that isn’t much. As you can imagine, the very idea of three young men from a small-town in WA reviving the genre is quite phenomenal.

Upon first hearing of them, I had to wonder if they could pull off the showmanship and musicality of the likes of Alice Cooper and Motley Crue. It’s one thing to just look at pictures, listen to their music and watch all the videos. But to really absorb the atmosphere, you really need to go to see a Glam Rock show

Sisters Doll pulled it off and more. Of course being one of the only members of the audience possessing a XX chromosome, I could happily pretend that all their songs were about me.

Even in the backroom of The Basement with only about 10 in the crowd (those who weren’t working in the band that is), they were very professional and created a stage show as if they were performing for the thousands at Groovin’ the Moo. As every good glam rock band should, they had flaming swords, high kicks, drum stick twirling, and confetti pouring on the audience. However, like every great glam rock band they interacted with their audience crackling with charisma.

Their album “Welcome to the Dollhouse” is available on iTunes.

It will be really interesting to see where the boys go from here and how their music will blossom further in their career.