Kukula’s: A Review

Artwork: Emily O'Neill

PSA: Kambri’s newest restaurant Kukula’s is damn good

Kukula’s is what Nandos wishes it was. Kukula’s is so good that I just had my second consecutive lunch there. It’s so delicious that when I ate my chicken burger in the Woroni office, three separate people commented on how good it smelled. 

For those who haven’t been on campus yet, Kukula’s recently opened in the corner spot where Green with NV used to be. As a proud carnivore, I have to say this is a huge improvement.

Kukula’s is an upcoming chain of restaurants that started in Parramatta, Sydney, and now has two franchises in Canberra. The ANU store is only the third shop in this rapidly growing chain: iterations are opening soon across Australian and New Zealand. 

Kukula’s unique but delicious seasoning and sauce is what makes it stand out. According to their website, Two Ceylonese friends started the first restaurant, drawing from both Ceylonese and Portuguese cuisines.. It’s certainly unique and some of the yummiest chicken I’ve ever eaten (and I really love chicken). 

I really loved the art on the wall, done by Canberra artist Happy Decay. It seems that similar original murals can be found in all Kukula’s stores which is a very nice touch.

For my first meal at Kukula’s, I had the ‘No frills’ burger – yes very basic. As a first-time Kukula’s customer (and a white person), I decided to start with the mildest sauce called ‘BBQ Rib’. My anglo-saxon taste buds were very happy with this choice, and the burger was delicious. The chips are also tasty; not only are they generously sized, but they are covered in delicious spiced salt. 

To justify eating at Kukula’s for a second day, I decided to get the Mediterranean salad with chicken breast. This was also delicious, and the culmination of these two great meals is what compelled me to write this review. 

I also think it would be very tricky to open a business at a time like this, so be a #localhero like me, and spend all your money at Canberra dining establishments like Kukula’s.

Think your name would look good in print? Woroni is always open for submissions. Email write@woroni.com.au with a pitch or draft. You can find more info on submitting here.