This image is a photograph of a forest - featuring over a dozen tree trunks, as well as grass and distant shrubbery

Fostering your Connection to the Environment with the Fenner School Society

The Fenner School is a hidden gem within the ANU – many confuse it with Fenner Hall, whereas others have only a vague idea about what Fenner School students actually do. We come from a range of backgrounds and study a number of different topics, such as human ecology, forestry and environmental policy. If you have ever shown interest in the broad topic of environmental studies, then the Fenner School is worth checking out!

A number of social and educational events are often organised by the student-run club known as The Fenner School Society. Bonfires at the Forestry firepit are a popular event – which happen every semester and bring together students from all disciplines to eat, mingle, and relax by the fire. The annual Fenner School Careers Evening is also a great occasion for students to network and find out more about prospective career opportunities.

This year will see the return of the annual Fenner School Cocktail Evening, with plans of it being held towards the end of semester 1. Previous years saw both students and staff immerse themselves in themes surrounding nature’s beauty, with some even dressing to the nines to show off the more glamorous side of the Fenner School. Movie nights are also held frequently for those who prefer to spend their evenings in, watching documentaries, eating pizza, and engaging in spicy debates with fellow peers.

Whether you are an engineering student, a science student, or a law student – Fenner School Society events are open to everyone, with the hope of sparking interest in environmental topics within everyone. Transdisciplinarity is what makes the Fenner School so unique, and by bringing together students of all backgrounds, we can work together to create a better society and a healthier environment.

If you are interested in getting involved with the society or would like to know more about future events email fennerschoolsociety@gmail.com