Depths of Delineation - Kate Bender's 'Colour Light Space'

In preparation for her first solo show at X Gallery in Bungendore, Kate Bender was kind enough to unveil to me the artist behind Colour Light Space. The recent ANU School of Art Painting graduate talks of the joys this art form brings her.

The significance of this refined and highly contemporary work at X Gallery became ever so apparent as the course of Bender’s career was shown to me in paintings. The progression of her technique has undoubtedly evolved into a multidimensional relationship between that very colour, light and space that Bender interprets. What is particularly striking of the method in which she practices is her ability to create or manipulate certain phenomena, using such agents as a light box to represent a distinguished detail of said phenomena.

Not only does Bender make work that facilitates a multi-sensory reception, she speaks of how the work creates an almost reverse synaesthesia for herself. When Bender’s work has reached a state of near completion, her mind provides for her a musical response, something with which she affirms the success of a piece. These works displayed in Colour Light Space are raw examples of such fervour from the artist.

The anticipation for what role Bender will take on from here is not to be lost. No doubt will there be an unfolding of creative visions in the months and years to come for such a current and evolving artist. Bender plans to continue her research in colour, light and space and is currently taking novel and insightful avenues to do so.

Image:
Kate Bender
Untitled (detail), 2014
Oil on canvas
120 x 90 cm