CSO hit a high note to help celebrate ActewAGL’s 100 years of energy

The Canberra Symphony Orchestra, led by Artistic Director and Conductor Nicholas Milton, presented a phenomenal concert on 20 August of 19th Century Music. Milton dedicated the concert to the local energy company, ActewAGL, an artistic patron of the CSO.

The Orchestra opened with Zoltán Kodály’s Dances of Galánta, which heavily featured woodwind solos. The clarinettist Alan Vivian who has been in the CSO for many years charmed the packed Llewellyn Hall with beautiful articulation and note slides. This piece had 11 small movements and demonstrated the orchestra’s intense energy. It is magical to watch 60 musicians be in sync with each other, especially in silent sections.

A standout soloist was British violinist Andrew Haveron who performed Jean Sibelius’s Violin Concerto in D Minor. Haveron has performed all over the world with his internationally acclaimed Brodsky Quartet. In July this year he took the role of concertmaster with the BBC Symphony Orchestra. The Concerto was extremely energetic as Haveron was often playing multiple notes at once. He performed well with the orchestra especially between the end of the 1st and 2nd movements, which depicted slow and sweet melodies. Special mention goes to the beautiful interplay and intonation between violin and flutes.

The Orchestra finished with Johannes Brahms popular Symphony No.4 In E Minor. The Symphony opens with a distinct melody, which is mirrored and altered throughout all four movements. Milton brought a high level of energy whilst conducting the symphony. The string section was incredible to watch, their bowing mechanical in their efficiency. The horns echoed throughout the hall and were right on point with their articulation and heroic melodies. CSO often do Student Rush tickets for $20 an hour before their concerts, so look out for their next concert featuring Rachmaninov’s Symphonic Dances, 4 and 5 November at 7.30 pm, Llewellyn Hall, ANU.