Coffee with Kirklandd

11872868_10207572475935077_1414689852_n

Arts and Reviews Sub-Editor Louise Keast got a chance to grab a coffee with local hip-hop act Kirklandd this week and talk about his upcoming gig, R.U.N ACT – Ode to Hip-Hop & RnB, that is exploding at Westside Acton Park on 15 August.

Having spent the past 13 years creating and developing his soulful sound, R.U.N ACT –Ode to Hip-Hop & RnB will be Kirklandd’s first opportunity to present to an audience a live set. Kirklandd is influenced by old school jazz and authentic hip-hop. His tracks occupy a realm of storytelling, a lyricism he has cultivated by studying artists such as Raekwon and James Brown. The capacity that true hip-hop has to share a story that stems from authentic experience is what resonates with Kirklandd, and he believes his unique approach to the genre will connect with his audience in this way. The contemporary “fuck bitches, get money” perceptions associated with rap and hip-hop are not what Kirklandd is attempting to achieve. His current collaborations with Melbourne based producer Cam Bluff (Hilltop Hoods, Allday, 360) stem from a more profound hip-hop tradition that has the unprecedented ability to resonate with our generation. Kirklandd says that he would “love the opportunity to become a curator in such a movement”.

Since November 2014 Kirklandd has been leaking his tracks for free on social media, whilst building up a sophisticated arsenal that he is excited to release on Triple J Unearthed next month. A headlining act for R.U.N ACT – Ode to Hip-Hop & RnB, Kirklandd has chosen a huge event to premiere his music to the emerging Canberra hip-hop and R&B scene. Kirklandd will also be the MC for the event, so look out for him (he’ll be the dude in the blue John Lennon type glasses) amid performances by local talent Tak-Un-Da and KultureBreak. There will be Step Up style dance offs and the launch of Junior Clothing Australia’s freshest apparel as well drinks at Aviary, hosted by the Kanye Appreciation Society. The event after-party will be at Tongue & Groove from 10 pm, where another appearance by Kirklandd will feature his latest trap infused track.