Canberra in Bloom

If you’re like me, then winter is a really difficult time. It’s cold, it’s dark and everything can feel quite gloomy. Getting out of my warm bed is difficult and productivity levels plummet. Which is why spring is easily my favourite season. It’s a sign that summer is coming: life flows back into the earth, days are longer and the sun is brighter. We’re now two weeks into spring, and with that in mind, here are some ideas for your spring weekends.

Sculpture in the Paddock 2018, 22 September – 7 October

Located in Yass, Sculpture in the Paddock celebrates art in a rural landscape. Home to fresh produce and beautiful landscapes, this exhibition is free for students and only a 40-minute drive from Canberra. There are many exhibiting artists, such as well-established artist Michael Le Grand, who was the previous Head of Sculpture at ANU, School of Art and Design until 2007. Heads up, dogs on leash are welcome, so expect to see some doggos – what more could you want?

Floriade 2018, 15 September – 14 October

Coined as “Australia’s biggest celebration of spring”, how could a spring weekend guide not include this iconic event? If you’re feeling extra fancy (and have the money) then you can book a high tea session. Each garden bed has a different theme, such as Music Icons, Puzzling Panoramas and Superhero Alley. Entry is free, opening hours are 9:30am – 5:30pm and it’s held in Commonwealth Park.

Weston Park, Yarralumla

About a 10-minute drive from campus, Weston Park is a charming little park with a café and a nursery. Visit in springtime to see flowers in the nursery come to life and blossom. Pick yourself up a plant-friend to take care of, grab a coffee and take a stroll through the park. Also – it’s a dog park, which means more dogs for you (sensing a theme here with the dogs).

Black Mountain

Don’t roll your eyes – Black Mountain is incredibly unique and wickedly cool. Yes, it’s right behind us and often used by university students and IB runners as a form of fitness, but it’s spring, which means it’s wildflower season on Black Mountain. It’s home to over 4000 species of flowers and is covered in native eucalyptus, and with stunning views and easy access (literally right behind campus and you can drive up the mountain), there is no excuse to not have a wander.

So get exploring, soak up some rays and smell the fresh air this spring!