Bush Week: The 90s Had It All

Bush Week, starting on Monday the 20th of July, is sure to break the blanket of relative silence that has descended on campus across the holidays, with events guaranteed to bring out the inner 90s spirit in all of us.

ANUSA Social Officer, Jack Gaudie, said that the 90s theme is “something everyone can get around.”

“We’re making Bush Week bigger and better than ever this year – it’s going to be packed with the old classics like Market Day and Crash A Country Pub along with some fantastic new events in the evenings, like Trivia-Newton-John and Art Attack!”

Monday brings a return to the 90s cinematic classics of our childhood, with a visit to Palace Electric Cinemas showcasing the best films of the decade. This is a welcome reminder of pop culture references for those aiming to win big at the following night’s Trivia Newton-John event, being held at ANU Bar.

Wednesday sees the staple of every good O- and Bush Week, Market Day, where clubs and societies battle for new recruits. After you’ve signed up to every club imaginable, throw on your best double denim, and Crash a Country Pub with hundreds of your new friends.

When asked why the 90’s theme was chosen, Jack Gaudie joked that “I originally wanted to do ‘George W Bush Week’, to celebrate gun ownership and Mission Accomplished – but I was out voted by the team.

“We also thought of ‘The Mighty Boosh Week’, but unfortunately our graphic design was already finished and I’m not sure how safe a Crack Fox party would be…”

For those who have perfected their Macaulay Culkin impression over the years, Thursday night provides free coffee and board games, at Home Alone 2: Before 10.

On Friday night, “Party Like It’s 1999” will serve as the marquee event of the week. It is sure to send us into the semester with a bang, reminding us both of the good, the bad, and the simply hilarious memories of the 90’s – a worthy throwback to the time when MTV still played music.

Gaudie assured that week was going to end on a high note.

“I’m super keen for Party Like It’s 1999 and the Eid Al Fitr (end of Ramadan) celebration on the Sunday after Bush Week. Its organisers are super passionate and it’s a cultural event that hasn’t been celebrated on a big scale at ANU before!”

All in all, whist classes are still on, Bush Week is for welcoming the new semester with your arms wide open, and your glow sticks at the ready. As Gaudie says, “Let’s be honest – we’re not going to class and there’s mates to catch up with. That’s what Bush Week is about, having a good time before you have too many readings.”