Vintage Television on a purple background with 'Woroni TV' in white lettering

Apply to Join Woroni TV in Semester Two 2018!

Woroni is looking to hire a new team of TV sub-editors to join our passionate team at ANU Student Media for 2018. Woroni TV is committed to engaging the wider ANU student body in audiovisual media, by covering news and events relevant to the ANU community, providing video services to the student body, and creating a platform for burgeoning video-content creators to allow them to develop their skills, talents, and styles further.

Descriptions for available positions are given below:

Camera Operator:

TV Camera Operators will work closely with producers and video editors in small teams, reporting directly to their assigned producer, as well as the TV Executive Producer and TV Editor. They will be responsible for tasks including but not limited to:

• Pitching and providing input on video ideas and assisting producers with light storyboarding.
  • Operating audio and camera equipment to film relevant footage for video content.
  • Livestreaming events.
  • Providing input and advice to video editors on footage for the finished product.

Additionally, it will be expected that Camera Operators will have basic knowledge of all other aspects of video content production – this includes basic skills in video editing and production.

The role is expected to require approx. Eight – 10 hours of work per week, including compulsory weekly team meetings that you must be available for. This is a volunteer position, with the possibility of honoraria.

Camera Operators must be available for initial communications via Slack between 16-21 July, and an initial team meeting/induction on 22 July 2018, with an introduction to all the basics of video-content production to take place within that timeframe. They must be ready to jump straight in to video production by the first week of semester two (Bush Week).

Ideal candidates will have a flair for visual storytelling – shot-framing, subject isolation, camera movement and framerate considerations will be second-nature to them. They will be organised, efficient, and reliable – able to deliver high-quality footage under tight deadlines and adapt quickly given unideal production/videography conditions. Most importantly, they must be a team-player, and willing to commit to a weekly content-production schedule.

Previous experience in either DSLR-level photography and/or videography is preferred, but not necessary. All training in camera operation, video editing, and content production will be provided within the first few weeks of the role. Woroni encourages applicants of any background to apply. We also highly encourage you to apply for any of the other TV positions: presenter/producer, video editor, or news reporter, or any other Print, Radio or Business sub-editor position that interests you.

Applications will close at 5pm on 27 June 2018.

Video Editor:

TV Video Editors will work closely with producers and camera operators in small teams, reporting directly to their assigned producer, as well as the TV Executive Producer and TV Editor. They will be responsible for tasks including but not limited to:

• Pitching and providing input on video ideas and providing post-production insight during pre-production
  • Cutting together footage for their respective productions, including externally sourcing stock-footage and/or royalty-free music when required.
  • Basic colour corrections, audio corrections and graphics within editing.

Additionally, it will be expected that Video Editors will have basic knowledge of all other aspects of video content production – this includes basic skills in camera operation and production.

Video Editors must be available for initial communications via Slack between 16-21 July, and an initial team meeting/induction on 22 July 2018, with an introduction to all the basics of video-content production to take place within that timeframe. They must be ready to jump straight in to video production by the first week of semester two (Bush Week).

Ideal candidates will have a strong sense of audiovisual rhythm and have a knack for noticing and polishing the finer details in a video. They will be creative problem solvers who are constantly able to think outside the box and cut together a vision that might not have been obvious to the other members of their respective production teams. Most importantly, they must be a team-player, and willing to commit to a weekly content-production schedule.

Previous experience in any non-linear video editing package (particularly Premiere Pro) will be preferred, but not necessary. All training in camera operation, video editing, and content production will be provided within the first few weeks of the role. Woroni encourages applicants of any background to apply. We also highly encourage you to apply for any of the other TV positions: presenter/producer, video editor, or news reporter, or any other Print, Radio or Business sub-editor position that interests you.

TV Producer:

TV Producers will work closely with their assigned video editors and camera operators in small teams, and be primarily responsible for the creative and organisational oversight of production. They will report directly to the TV Editor and TV Executive Producer. They will be responsible for tasks including but not limited to:

• Oversight of all aspects of video production for their respective teams (pre-production, production and post-production. Mostly scheduling, organisation, and creative oversight and leadership.)
  • Managing a small team consisting of an assigned camera operator and editor.
  • Ensuring the final deliverable is of sufficient quality and accessibility.

Additionally, it will be expected that Producers will have a basic-intermediate knowledge of all other aspects of video content production – this includes basic skills in camera operation and production. This is particularly important for Producers, given their more managerial role in the process of content production.

Producers must be available for initial communications via Slack between 16-21 July, and an initial team meeting/induction on 22 July 2018, with an introduction to all the basics of video-content production to take place within that timeframe. They must be ready to jump straight in to video production by the first week of semester two (Bush Week).

Ideal candidates will be creative leaders – able to manage small teams and ensure deadlines for production are both set and met. They will have strong, distinct and creative visions for video content, and are comfortable in a small leadership position. They will also be comfortable with all aspects of video production, so that they are most effectively able to manage their team. Most importantly, they must be a team-player, and willing to commit to a weekly content-production schedule.

Previous experience in video production will be strongly preferred, but not necessary. All training in camera operation, video editing, and content production will be provided within the first few weeks of the role. Woroni encourages applicants of any background to apply. We also highly encourage you to apply for any of the other TV positions: presenter/producer, video editor, or news reporter, or any other Print, Radio or Business sub-editor position that interests you.

Executive Producer:

The Executive Producer will work closely with the TV Editor in daily TV team management, and act as another authoritative resource for content production, both from an assistance and troubleshooting position. They will be responsible for tasks including but not limited to:

• Organising team meetings.
  • Minuting meetings and writing up action plans after each meeting.
  • Aspects of internal professional development.
  • Coordinating our external services for the student body and actively looking for opportunities for video production.
  • Troubleshooting and assisting in video production for smaller teams.

The Executive Producer will also be part of a production team consisting of the TV Editor, Technical Manager and themselves.

The role is expected to require approx. 10-15 hours of work per week, including compulsory weekly team meetings that you must be available for. This is a volunteer position, with the possibility of honoraria.

The Executive Producer must be available for initial communications via Slack from 9 July onwards, and an initial team meeting/induction on 22 July 2018, with an introduction to all the basics of video-content production to take place within that timeframe. They must be ready to jump straight in to video production by the first week of semester two (Bush Week).

Ideal candidates will be strong leaders who are organised, punctual, and most importantly, committed. They will be very comfortable with all aspects of video production, to the point that they feel comfortable providing guidance in all aspects of video production for other production teams. They will feel comfortable providing lessons in video production during initial development stages of the team, and will be available for assistance and troubleshooting throughout the semester. Above all else, they will be a capable leader who is able to commit to a weekly content-production schedule.

Previous experience in video production is required for this position, and previous sub-editor experience at Woroni TV will be strongly preferred.

Applications will close at 5pm on 23 June 2018.

Technical Manager

The Technical Manager will work closely with the TV Editor in daily TV team management, particularly in managing our inventory and gear availability, and ensuring our production files stay organised and up to date. They will be responsible for tasks including but not limited to:

• Keeping tabs on Woroni TV’s inventory, and providing advice on technical deficiencies/inefficiencies.
  • Ensuring the TV computer is efficiently organised.
  • Work on post-production workflow with the TV Editor.

The Technical Manager will also be part of a production team consisting of the TV Editor, Executive Producer and themselves.

The Technical Manager must be available for initial communications via Slack from 9 July onwards, and an initial team meeting/induction on 22 July 2018, with an introduction to all the basics of video-content production to take place within that timeframe. They must be ready to jump straight in to video production by the first week of semester 2 (Bush Week).

Ideal candidates will be very organised, punctual, reliable, and most importantly, committed. They will be very well-versed in the technical aspects of video-production, able to provide advice on what gear is most suited to each production, and what gear might need to be acquired for future productions. They will feel very comfortable providing technical advice on production, to the point that they are able to assist heavily in the initial stages of production team training, and will also be available for assistance and troubleshooting throughout the semester. Above all else, they will be a capable leader and an expert in technical video production who is able to commit to a weekly content-production schedule.

Previous experience in video production is required for this position, with an emphasis on technical knowledge, and previous sub-editor experience at Woroni TV will be strongly preferred.

Interviews for all positions will be conducted on a rolling basis, either in person or over Skype until 2 July.

Please feel free to email William (TV Editor) at william@woroni.com.au with any further questions.

Woroni is committed to diversity in hiring. It is important that our team reflects the diversity of the ANU community so that we can better tell stories about everyone at the ANU. As such, Woroni welcomes applications from students that are from a range of diverse backgrounds and identities. If you identify with a diverse background, feel free to let us know in your application.