CW: alleged sexual harassment

An Instagram account containing sexualised images and videos of female students on campus has emerged. 

One video on the account features zoomed-in footage of a student exercising at what appears to be the ANU gym, set to dance music.

Another shows multiple clips and photos of a student in a red dress walking across campus, with the photographer following the student from Daley Road to Union Court.

The account, which was made private just after midnight of Friday, only has a handful of followers, but the two videos have attracted over 200 views each.

It is unclear whether subjects of the videos consented to being filmed, and they appear to be unaware of the photographer’s presence. 

ANUSA Women’s Officer Holly Haoyi Zhang condemned the account, saying that, ‘Online harassment and the distribution of visual images of young women without their consent is an ongoing issue that significantly and disproportionately impacts the safety and well-being of women-identifying students at ANU, and is evidence of how pervasive rape culture is in our community and society more generally.’

Zhang added that she believes the University should do more to combat rape culture, particularly online.

Under Australian law, it is generally not a crime to film someone in a public place, but distributing humiliating images can be a form of criminal harassment or stalking.