Befitting ANU’s stellar reputation for research, the latest volume of the Undergraduate Research Journal was launched on Wednesday the 7th of March.

Held at the newly opened Lena Karmel Lodge and overlooking its rooftop garden, the launch was marked by speeches given by newly-appointed Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic), Professor Marnie Hughes-Warrington, Project Coordinator Dr Dierdre Pierce and Editor Michelle Almirón.

In her speech, the Deputy Vice Chancellor, who is former Pro Vice-Chancellor for Learning and Teaching at Monash University, commended the authors for their commitment, passion as well as talent for research, taking care to comment on the originality of each and every one of their works in the journal.  She also reflected on recent ANU Nobel Laureate, Professor Brian Schmidt’s early career trajectory at the ANU during his 20’s. She recalled his amazement at how ANU offered such breadth and flexibility in terms of what research he could carry out as a PhD student.

The journal comprises of three editors, Michelle Almirón, Rachael Eddowes and Shaun New, all of whom are ANU postgraduate students as well as Project Coordinator Dr Dierdre Pierce and Project Assistant Aditya Chopra. Although it was only established a few years back, the journal has steadily garnered the attention of undergraduates, resulting in over a 100 submissions for this edition alone with 11 entries selected.

Editor Rachael Eddowes pointed out that “The AURJ is one of many opportunities for ANU undergraduates to jump-start their research careers”.

“It’s been inspiring to see not only the commitment and enthusiasm of this year’s authors, but also enquiries from undergraduates hoping to submit their work in 2012”, she added.

When asked how they felt about having their work published as an undergraduate, author Brendan Forde responded that it was “an honour to be published in such a well-produced journal, alongside writers of such talent and capability. Everyone should be really proud of what they have achieved”.

“The AURJ is an incredible opportunity for undergraduates. It was an enjoyable experience that gave real insight into the world of academic publishing that we aren’t regularly exposed to”, fellow author Zid Mancenido added.