Polls have closed, votes have been counted, and Lachy Day has been elected the 2020 President of ANUSA. 

Day, who ran on the “Turn Over a New Leaf” ticket, triumphed over opponents Adam Cass (“YOU! For ANUSA”) and Ryan Clough (ungrouped/”DART”) in the presidential contest.

In stark contrast to last year, this election saw the majority of the executive spots contested, with only the role of General Secretary elected unopposed. “Turn Over a New Leaf”’s Taylor Heslington will fill this position next year.

This election has proved to be a successful one for the “Turn Over a New Leaf” ticket, with four of five contested executive positions being filled by their candidates. 

Students have voted in “New Leaf”’s Skanda Panditharatne as Education Officer, Sophie Jaggar as Social Officer, and Maddy Wang as Treasurer. 

Meanwhile, Madhu Janagaraja was elected as Vice President, after running independently on the ticket “Madhu for ANU”. 

Next year’s elected General Representatives are “Turn Over a New Leaf”’s Aryanne Caminschi, Kate Evans, Ben Wicks and Ben Theakston, “Empower Your ANUSA”’s Ben Yates and Vincent Lee, “Electrify ANUSA”’s Louis Gordon, “Climate Action for ANUSA”’s Nick Carlton and Nick Crowley, “YOU! For ANUSA”’s Lachlan Ballard and Tom Garratt, “VOTE!”’s Jacob Ellis, “Count on Cahill”’s Cahill Di Donato and, running on an ungrouped ticket, William Fletcher.

While the majority of the Department Officers were elected unopposed, Shivali Trivedi took out the contest for next year’s Queer* Officer.

Many of the college representative positions were hotly contested for 2020. Samuel Lee (“New Leaf”) and James Eveille (“Electrify”) were elected as College of Arts and Social Sciences Representatives. Yasmin Potts (“New Leaf”) and Sai Campbell (“Empower”) were elected as Joint Colleges of Science Representatives. Max Claessens (“VOTE!”) and Georgina Price (“New Leaf”) were elected as College of Law Representatives. 

Lachy Day was also elected Undergraduate Member on ANU Council. 

The five delegates elected to represent the ANU at the 2020 National Union of Students National Conference were “Climate Action”’s Grace Carter, “Empower”’s Henri Vickers, “Electrify”’s Nick Pagonis and “New Leaf”’s Lachy Day and Skanda Panditharatne.

Voter turnout was up this year, with 2321 (11.86%) voters trumping last year’s meagre 1688 (9.32%).